Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Hand from Bellagion 5 Diamond

pretty much the same line as your mirage hand where you make AK fold, with similar thought process and everything right?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:50 PM

Given your read of the situation, which I will assume is accurate (it sounds reasonable enough), I really like the way you played this hand. You built up a really big pot for yourself and made the type of bet where she would need near-nuts to call. Sucks that you ran into a monster, but it happens.

The only other factor that I would consider is that this bluff if fairly risky considering she often has a really strong hand when she makes it to the river here. How easily where you accumulating chips from the other players? I am not sure the risk of running into a monster at the expense of your stack was worth it if you had an otherwise soft table. Losing this pot left you with much less room to play, you can't really make too many plays that don't risk too much of your stack anymore.

This play would be much much better if either she had less or you had more chips, where losing it would leave still leave you with a deep stack.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:56 PM

cant wait for "perfect" steal situations. he had been setting this up for a while, i like the play, regardless of the outcome. she couldve made it this far with AK, or maybe even QQ, which he said he was confident she would fold.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:58 PM

The STTF thread was moved over here. But if you really want to read Gigabet's full detailed rationale, check it out over there.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Side Note: I had never been caught bluffing by anyone at the table, and JJ had consistently shown that she respected my raises, she knew I was out of line alot preflop, but postflop, she never saw anything from me that could be construed as "way out of line."

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would anyone respect Gigabet's raises? Is she a professional? Does she know whoGigabet is?
Old 12-15-2005, 05:12 PM

You said in a reply in the STTF forum:
[ QUOTE ]
if there were any type of action that threatened her stack, she never showed worse than TPTK, and that is when the opposing player gave up, whenever the pressure continued, she wouldn't even call.

[/ QUOTE ]

but before that you said
[ QUOTE ]
when I was thinking about the size of my bet on the turn, I really wanted to make a bet that tested her stack, yet, wasn't impossible to call, with the idea that my continuation bet on the river was a natural conclusion to representing the near nuts

[/ QUOTE ]

The first time I read it I thought "Well your turn bet threatened her stack, and she called, so why continue on? The second time around though I realized you said she folded when the pressure continued, which makes your river bet imperative given the read.

I like Irie's suggestion. Check-raising the flop and leading the turn allows you to test her stack and pour on the pressure earlier, thus saving you a fair number of chips. She's not going to call a turn bet with a hand that she'd fold on the river, so why not give it a shot there?
Old 12-15-2005, 05:16 PM

All,

One thing there hasn't been much comment on is her play. I think her flop bet was really key to this hand and was great.

If she bets pot-ish here, Giga may well just be done with the hand.

If she checks behind, the stacks make it awkward for Giga to make a real serious play for this pot without taking an absurd risk. Maybe he takes a turn stab, but I don't see how she ends up stacking him.

I think her line, especially given the image she had, was really great. Perhaps she too was setting the stage for a play.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:16 PM

Given your read/history with the villain, I think your line is perfectly justified.
I'm surprised she bet the flop.
It's certainly a nice way to disguise her hand, and probably the better line more often than not against a very good player, but considering that you were playing passive post-flop and that you described your history as:
[ QUOTE ]
we had established that we were not going to get involved in big pots with each other, without very strong holdings.

[/ QUOTE ]
The chances of you hitting that flop are obviously very slim, w/ a flopped boat one might assume she would have been inclined to let you catch up a bit with a free turn card.

Best of luck today.

A side note, you don't know what Laak held on the KK laydown, do you?
Old 12-15-2005, 05:18 PM

She reraises preflop. Then leads out for 1/3 of flop on a K66 board. What hands did you put her on when she reraised preflop? What hands did you put her on when she bet 1/3 flop after reraising preflop? I understand all the reads on the player, but what about the reads on the action of this hand.

Granted, she is weak/tight. However, who folds AK or AA on a K662 board to a known LAG with the money not all that deep? I don't see how she got that far if she is such a bad weak player.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, who folds AK or AA on a K662 board to a known LAG with the money not all that deep? I don't see how she got that far if she is such a bad weak player.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) No one has said she is bad.
2) Gigabet's image is not LAG post-flop, especially against JJ.