Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Too fancy for my own good? Cap or call?

Two limpers, one of which is sort of aggro and the other is a passive weak player. I raise in the SB with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], the BB folds, three-way action.

Flop is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I bet and get called by both.

Turn is an A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and I check. First, weaker player, checks and the second bets. I call, and the weak player folds.

River is a J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and I check-raise. He three-bets.

Cap it or call? Villan is a little too aggro I think, but it quite capable of making it to the river with broadway or the wheel.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Too fancy for my own good? Cap or call?

You played this hand extremely deceptively, so he could easily think his 2pair, or lower set is good. Cap!

As for the rest of the hand, I don't really get what you are doing. Bet the turn, and hope you are raised so you can 3-bet. If that turn gets checked through it is awful. Same goes for the river. I think you are trying to get way too fancy here. Just bet.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You played this hand extremely deceptively, so he could easily think his 2pair, or lower set is good. Cap!

As for the rest of the hand, I don't really get what you are doing. Bet the turn, and hope you are raised so you can 3-bet. If that turn gets checked through it is awful. Same goes for the river. I think you are trying to get way too fancy here. Just bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, afterwards I asked a friend about it, and the more I thought about it the worse I felt about how I played it. None of my actions made sense after the flop.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:12 PM

I have seen a couple of hands like this lately. If you take an unconventional line with your hand it is going to effect your opponent's reaction. So in this hand you decided to check your set of aces on the turn into three people. You shouldn't be surprised that your opponent isn't putting you on a hand as strong as top set. You should cap here and cringe rarely when you are shown the wheel or broadway. You will usually be good here.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:17 PM

I like it. Cap the river for the finale. I love checking overcards that hit me because aggro opponents will almost always semi-bluff them. I usually can't keep from check-raising the turn though. In this case, it seems waiting is better.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:28 PM

I like to bet that turn in limit hold em. Check raising is very overdone these days. I perfer to bet on my hand and if a weak tight player raises and i know he is a mouse, il call and look for a boat based on pot odds, if the mouse folds and the aggro raises im looking to 3 bet and i dont think he can cap unless he has the wheel. but il call, check, and pay him off for another bet on the turn if i dont hit my boat.