Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 08:31 PM

Default 2/4 Prima with Tens

6 handed, I open raise on the button to 16 with Tens. BB, haven't seem him out of line, seems to be decent, makes it 52 to go. What's my play? Oh yeah, I started the hand with 300, he barely covers he.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:34 PM

Default Re: 2/4 Prima with Tens

If you have a good read on his postflop play, I definitely call. If you don't have a good read but just see him as 'solid unknown' then I just fold. You're not ahead of his hand range, and if he's good and aggressive you could end up folding the best hand or calling off a bet on the flop hoping he has AK or whatever and it can get messy from there. With a read, though, I love your position. You can hit a set and potentially stack him or you can hope to push him off a better hand at some point using your position to your advantage.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:22 AM

Default Re: 2/4 Prima with Tens

[ QUOTE ]
If you have a good read on his postflop play, I definitely call. If you don't have a good read but just see him as 'solid unknown' then I just fold. You're not ahead of his hand range, and if he's good and aggressive you could end up folding the best hand or calling off a bet on the flop hoping he has AK or whatever and it can get messy from there. With a read, though, I love your position. You can hit a set and potentially stack him or you can hope to push him off a better hand at some point using your position to your advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

52 to play, with effective stacks of 300 ... and you call and hope to use position ?

Pot will be 100 or so on the flop. If you were villain ... what series of events would get you to fold on pretty much any flop ?
If you are trying to stack villain with a set, you are calling 36 to try to win 300, so you can sort of justify it.

I dont see how there is much postflop play when the pot gets to this size though.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Re: 2/4 Prima with Tens Part 2

Preflop, I call. Flop is Q95 rainbow. Villian leads for 44. Action?
Old 09-13-2005, 10:37 AM

I push and hope that I'm ahead or villain lays down an overpair. Qxx flop is worst possible flop for him no matter what he has.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I push and hope that I'm ahead or villain lays down an overpair. Qxx flop is worst possible flop for him no matter what he has.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless its QQ, which it now looks like it is [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
The only thing that you *might* be able to get him to laydown is JJ or AK.
AA-QQ/99 are all ahead.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:25 AM

It's pretty unlikely to be 99, I think. I mean, if you think his hand range is AA-QQ/AK with potentially less weighting on AK then you should just fold preflop. As I said initially. My only premise for calling was that a)it would be easy to stack him if we hit and he has an overpair and b)we might be ahead of AK and he might lay down a better hand to a flop push.

So this is the perfect flop for our plan of calling preflop. So push. But if pushing is wrong here, then I think calling is wrong preflop.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Results

I go ahead and push. He thinks, thinks, thinks, and then types in the chat box jj and mucks it.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
I go ahead and push. He thinks, thinks, thinks, and then types in the chat box jj and mucks it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just another day at the office.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing he is no good.

What do you do if he bets 80 ... or 100 ?