Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Super Bowl Odds Question

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to the sports betting world and had a question that I'm sure everyone in here knows except for me. Ive been looking at the super bowl odds, and I understand the whole Patriots 15/1 thing. What I dont understand is the Colts are -250. Can someone just explain what the minus 250 is and how you would bet it? Thanks!
Old 12-17-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Super Bowl Odds Question

-250 means you bet 250 to win 100
Old 12-17-2005, 10:18 PM

In Las Vegas (and offshore too), lines are quoted like this:

-XXX means you have to risk XXX to win 100.
+YYY means you have to risk 100 to win YYY.

You can wager any ratio of 100, assuming the book will take the wager.

Examples:

1. IND to win SB at -250 means you have to risk $250 in order to win $100. If you wanted to win $50, then you have to risk $125.

2. Kansas City Royals to win the AL Central: +8500. This means your risk of $100 pays you $8500 if you win your bet. If you only risk $10, then you will win $850.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to the sports betting world and had a question that I'm sure everyone in here knows except for me. Ive been looking at the super bowl odds, and I understand the whole Patriots 15/1 thing. What I dont understand is the Colts are -250. Can someone just explain what the minus 250 is and how you would bet it? Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand the question was already answered here.
I assume the teams were just an example but just in case they weren't. The best line I seen yesterday on the colts winning the superbowl was -165. This is closed now that this weeks games are started and will reopen on Tuesday with an adjusted line.
With future bets the lines very a great deal from book to book, and some of them are just plain rip offs..
Example Bodog does which quarter of the game will score the most points. I often see lines like +120 +125 +130 +135 Don't need to be a genius to know with 4 ways this can go an all ranging from +120-+135 its a total suckers bet..
Don't get me wrong futures are not suckers bets but at some books they are. Just emphasizing to shop the lines well on these.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:06 PM

I would only do the Royals bet if YYY = GOOGLE.