Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 07:38 PM

Default Decent draw...call or raise?

Just started playing the party 10/20 and don't have a lot of data yet. In this case I had just sat down and in the orbit or two hadn't seen anything fishy out of these players, but couldn't remember anything they showed down either.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (9 max, 8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero ...

With two behind am I better off calling my draw/overs or raising to maybe clean up some overs/free card the turn?

FWIW, I just called flop and turn.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Decent draw...call or raise?

I prefer raising on the flop. To your oponents, it looks like you're protecting a vulnerable top pair or two pair. With players behind me, it can buy me position for the turn. I can then take a free card if offered, or sometimes if an overcard comes, I can bet an take the pot down right there. As you indicate, it can also clean up some outs. A lot of good things can happen for the price of one small bet.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can bet an take the pot down right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent post Andy, and I think this point is most important. if your raise gets it heads up, a continuation bet on the turn will often get a better hand to fold.

suppose villian has middle pair, bottom pair, or a gutshot with an Ace or King...unless he is very loose, he is going to fold this turn unimproved heads up quite often.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:59 PM

I think the play is to definitely raise the flop here. If there were 4 or 5 players to act behind you then the play would be to smooth call this flop and let everyone in behind you on your great draw. But with just two players you have alot to gain by raising and perhaps taking the pot down unimproved on the initial bettor.