Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-06-2005, 11:40 AM

Default What\'s With This DERB?

Can someone bring me up to speed?
Old 11-06-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: What\'s With This DERB?

I'm in the same boat bro. What is up with this DERB? I really wanna know.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:06 PM

According to both dataminers and players and obervers, DERB is a loose, aggressive unorthodox player who is destroying the partypoker games $30/$60 and up. He is doing this despite making numerous plays that seem quite atrocious by standard logic. The other interesting part of it is that he is from Llubjana (possibly spelled wrong), which seems to be a hotbed of poker in eastern Europe. There seems to be quite a braintrust centered there. So the big question is, has DERB (and maybe his Llubjana friends) stumbled on to some alternative winning strategy or does he simply DERB (Don't Ever Run Bad).
Old 11-06-2005, 12:14 PM

DERB - Dont Ever Run Bad

here is the original thread

apparently he plays far too loose and aggressive to possibly be a winning player as far as anyone can tell, but he somehow has shown a profit over many hands that no 2+2er can beat, looking at some of his hands, it seems that he plays horribly postflop and plays far too many hands preflop, but somehow is a consistant winner

some think that he has discovered a new strategy that is better than the standard TAG for beating TAG games, others think he is just a luckbox, and others think he may be cheating

i actually dont know if he is still showing a profit, but he did for a while at least, and it is interesting to see that a player with completely unconventional tactics can be a consistant winner, but looking at his hands, im really not convinced that it is more than just extended luck

i also dont know all of the details as far as who he is or what the significance of him being from slovenia is, but i think there are others who know a bit more than i do

anyway, you should be able to find at least the basics of what i know in the link if you have not already seen the old thread
Old 11-06-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im really not convinced that it is more than just extended luck

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only taken the VERY occasional crack at those limits online but my thought is at some point you have to give him credit for developing a quality outside-the-box metagame strategy that works well for him.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 11-06-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've only taken the VERY occasional crack at those limits online but my thought is

[/ QUOTE ]

A better line would have been 'I have never played against DERB, so i wont give my thoughts'.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:47 PM

ive never played against him either and really dont know what im talking about here, but i just dont see how throwing away 3+ BB on hopeless hands with 0 FE fairly often could possibly be made up for with meta-effects that you already have a reputation for and could easily make that reputation last while not recklessly spewing chips for no reason quite as often as he appears to

also do we know if hes still a winner?
Old 11-06-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I've only taken the VERY occasional crack at those limits online but my thought is

[/ QUOTE ]

A better line would have been 'I have never played against DERB, so i wont give my thoughts'.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the same line of thinking, I hope you don't have any thoughts on abortion, space travel, war and crime.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:59 PM

The search function is you friend n00b!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the same line of thinking, I hope you don't have any thoughts on abortion, space travel, war and crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

worst analogy ever.