Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 03:28 PM

Default 60-120 Live TT Hand

Been a while since I've posted a hand up, and I apologize ahead of time if this seems a little boring.

Game is live, it's late at night around 2:30 a.m. and it's 7 handed and I've been playing for just over an hour. It's also a full Kill game and right now button has the kill.

I'm in the hijack with TT. Folded to me and I raise. Cutoff folds, button folds, SB calls, BB folds.

SB is a new player I have never seen before, he's never seen me. He's a young kid, raises with a variety of hands pre-flop and is quite a good post flop player.

His buddy in the BB is a gambooler and they've both been shooting around in their hands HU, and the kid is showing some pretty decent hands.

His post-flop play is pretty straightforward and I have not seen him try to pull anything crazy other than the stuff he does HU with his buddy, but he's quite loose preflop and has been protecting his blinds. He's also stuck over 1k in the last hour.

Flop comes 8-8-3 rainbow.

He checks, I bet, he check-raises, I call.

At this point in time, the range of hands I put him on are Ax (possibly A3), possibly a smaller pocket pair (QQ and below, yes most players don't 3-bet pocket pairs OOP in this game including QQ). Of course there is always the chance he has an 8.

The range of hands I think that the kid puts me on - Ax and pocket pairs of course. He won't put me on an 8, and obviously a 3. I know he knows that I don't play that loose especially given his buddy is gambooler BB who rarely folds his blind (well..he did fold this hand).

Turn is a 3.

Kid fires another bet.

My move?

Lawrence
Old 10-14-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: 60-120 Live TT Hand

so this hand is 120/240? or it's a 30/60 game and now you're playing a kill pot?
Old 10-14-2005, 03:34 PM

i would have 3 bet the flop instantly.. why didn't you?

i like a turn bet
Old 10-14-2005, 03:35 PM

3-bet the flop. then call down the turn if he bets again. if he checks, bet.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:46 PM

do you mean turn raise?
Old 10-14-2005, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do you mean turn raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

oh.. whoops

i guess i just like a call then
Old 10-14-2005, 05:14 PM

Call down?

Also, I'd 3-bet the flop.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:30 PM

Hi Lawrence,

[ QUOTE ]
His post-flop play is pretty straightforward and I have not seen him try to pull anything crazy other than the stuff he does HU with his buddy...

[/ QUOTE ]I'm sure you stated this for a reason. If he has absolutely no tendencies to make moves without a real hand, then you are badly beat. To fold in this situation means you would need a confident read on him, especially with the afore mentioned description.

However, considering his "youth" status, being that he should be observant enough that he may be able to move a tight player like you off a better hand, it is hard not to call him down to see the goods.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:12 PM

I'd raise here. If he has an ace, he may well call you down now that the board has double paired. If he has a bigger pair or an 8, well, so be it. If he has K-Q, K-J or Q-J, he'll probably fold and I'd prefer that to him getting a cheap shot at beating my tens. His most likely hand is a smaller pocket pair than mine and he'll call down with that too.

While there is a case to be made for 3-betting the flop, I prefer to just call and then raise the turn is it's a favorable card. If he 3-bets the turn, I call him down.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:37 PM

if the villian knows anything about holdem im sure he would have 3bet if he had pocket pair including 6s and up rather than just calling.i have 3bet it w 2-2 in this situation against the right opps.so,i would put him on suited high cards or small pocket pair.
Reraise the flop and bet the turn if he dosnt 3bet u then call him down 2 the river