Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-21-2005, 04:35 AM

Default Re: Serenity: the movie

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not really a fan of Joss Whedon, but I thoroughly enjoyed Buffy The Vampire Slayer so I thought I'd give Serenity a try (Note: Buffy the movie. I thought the show was an abomination).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is backwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

You see. This is what I don't get. Buffy the movie was an excellent comedic slap at everything high school faux cool. The whole movie took nothing seriously, not even itself. It was a brilliant piece of satire.

Then you get the show (of which my friends have only made me watch 100 goddamned episodes). It takes itself seriously and tries to develop these intricate, yet involving plotlines, and fails miserably at it. The characters are trite and play exactly as they are written - as if a 40 year old is trying to write something hip for his 18-something audience. It's as if Whedon is trying to channel Salinger, and instead gets Dr. Seuss. On top of that the sheer number of banal add-on zombies, demons, ghosts, ubergods, etc. was just mind boggling. It seems no one could come to terms with the fact that the movie was a flash in the pan - a single serving dish. That anyone continued to be interested with the mind-numbingly pedestrian dialogue and stream-of-consciousness style plot devices is beyond me.

The movie was scathing and witty.

The show was ordinary on its best days.

[/ QUOTE ]

with all due respect, you do have it COMPLETELY backwards. just the part about the "pedestrian dialogue" on the show couldn't be more wrong.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:42 AM

I loved the film. Critically it did very well indeed, check out Rottentomatoes. If you're not a fan of Whedons wit then it may well be just annoying though.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:54 PM

firefly was a great show and serenity was alright. I watch tv seasons religiously and just finished watching firefly last night/this morning for like the 30th time.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:56 PM

You watched the series and thought movie was just alright?

Wow. I'm watching it again tonight, I can't wait.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You watched the series and thought movie was just alright?

Wow. I'm watching it again tonight, I can't wait.

[/ QUOTE ]

**SPOILER**
The movie was practicly about how Reavers came to be and how the alliance is yet again full of BS.

The show was a littlemore to home. it was about everyone on that ship and the whacky adventure they got themselves into.

in other words yes the tv series kept me hooked, while the movie was good failed to compare and if you are a firefly fan you understand how important the creation of that movie was for us all. after the network killed it no one thought it would see the light of day until the series sold worldwide so well. The book wasnt very good either btw.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:29 PM

"Firefly sucks."
Old 12-21-2005, 04:58 PM

I had never seen the TV show. I got dragged to it by a bunch of people who REALLY liked the TV show. The theater was filled with people who obviously very much liked the TV show. I didn't like the bits of Buffy that I happened to watch by accident along the way. I was fully prepared to be disappointed and grumpy about having my time wasted.

The whole premise also bugged me a little bit. At its core, its a show glamorizing the James Gang, which doesn't sound like a good start to me.

That being said, I really liked the movie. I liked it enough to get a hold of the DVD of the show and watch it all in a fairly short time period.

I'll probably watch the movie again, since I know I missed out on some of the things that the real geeks were getting.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How much of the tv series did you see?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks to my girlfriend's taste in television, our DVD collection contains five seasons of Buffy and two seasons of Angel.

I'm guessing I've seen more Buffy episodes than most Buffy fans.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not more than me - 7 seasons of Buffy and 5 of Angel. My kids watch it constantly. Every morning on TV for the last 3 years.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:24 PM

I never tuned into the show when it was on. I only saw the movie because my friends and I were bored one night and had to decide between seeing Serenity and Flightplan. Thank God Serenity won the coinflip. We all thought the movie was excellent. It may have helped that we walked in with no expectations.

Soon after I Netflixed the tv series. I thought it was hilarious and wish there was more. Hope to see the movie on DVD soon, and I have heard through the grapevine about plans for a sequel.

Sadly, Firefly is another gem of a show that Fox doesn't give a flying [censored] of a chance to *coughcoughArrestedDevelopmentcoughcough*

-AA
Old 12-21-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
firefly was a great show and serenity was alright. I watch tv seasons religiously and just finished watching firefly last night/this morning for like the 30th time.

[/ QUOTE ]

just to be clear, the post to which you replied was comparing Buffy: The Vampire Slayer - the show VS. Buffy: TVS - the movie, NOT Firefly vs. Serenity.