Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-27-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Scuba Questions

Hi Everyone,

I need help, and there is no place finer than OOT to seek help.....I think.

Anyway, my wife and I are going on the Cardplayer Cruise this week, and we booked a beginners scuba tour in Manzanillo. I have 2 scuba questions for the forum:

1. I have exercise induced asthma, but it hasn't ben a problem for over the past 15 years. I'm still active, and I still play soccer on a regular basis. I have done the discovery scuba dive before (+/- 30ft), and didn't have any breathing problems. Should I be concerned if I lie about it on the padi form for this dive? I have an inhaler, but I almost never use it before, during, or after a soccer game. The only time I do use it is if it is very cold, I take a puff about 20 minutes AFTER a game because I get a raw feeling in my chest. Warm weather does nothing to me when I play. I was planning to lie on the form because I probably won't have time to get to the doctors for him to sign the form.

2. My wife wears contacts. She is worried she won't be able to use them for this dive. Can she wear contacts while diving?

If anyone has the answers to these questions, I'd appreciate it soon. We leave Thursday for San Diego.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Joe
Old 11-27-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Bump-o-licious

Hoping someone on the night shift will see this.

Joe
Old 11-27-2005, 11:10 PM

Default Re: Bump-o-licious

cant answer about asthma but i wear contacts and dive. there are two options. you can dive w/ your contacts in which is what i do and dont have a problem.

the other option is to get a mask with two lenses and the lenses are prescription. this is the expensive route and a pain in the ass in my opinion.

im a novice diver so take my info for what it's worth.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:19 PM

Thanks for the response.

The lens issue is for my wife. The only thing I could find on the net was that the salt water, if it got into her eyes, will make the lens shrink, and make the fit tighter around her eyeball. This can be remidied with a good clean after the dive.

Since this is her first dive, and a discovery dive at that, I'm not about to shell out the coin for the special dive mask.

As for my dilema, I think I'm just gonna lie because I've gone on the discovery dive before without any problems. I'm sure this is the same type of dive. And once you get used to the breathing aparatus and the added pressure on your lungs, its really a blast.

Joe
Old 11-27-2005, 11:27 PM

If its just some sort of vacation dive, her eyes probably wont touch the water. When getting certified, you have to do exersizes where you remove your goggles, but you guys wont be doing such exersizes.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If its just some sort of vacation dive, her eyes probably wont touch the water. When getting certified, you have to do exersizes where you remove your goggles, but you guys wont be doing such exersizes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot about the excersize part. They do go through some drills. But in a "resort course", its mainly communication with the dive master during the dive. Mostly the hand signal type of stuff.

Hopefully, this gets her excited about diving ad we can go for our certifications. I'd love to try some deeper dive stuff like wrecks.

Joe
Old 11-27-2005, 11:43 PM

i got certified in the US and dove in mexico. i found out in mexico that you can do 5 dives in mexico and become a certified diver.

there was a group that was going w/ us that was doing that. they spent 2 days doing doing dives and then were just as legit as i was. i learned A LOT though so im glad i took the classes.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i found out in mexico that you can do 5 dives in mexico and become a certified diver.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they really get PADI certified that way? It sounds to easy. You could easily spend a week in Cancun and get that done.

Joe
Old 11-28-2005, 12:05 AM

I was padi certified as a junior (when i was 12). I remember getting it done in 3 or 4 open water dives. The rest was done in the pool.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Scuba Questions

I'm a certified diver but in no way a doctor. My guess is that if you can play soccer without a problem, SCUBA will give you zero problems with your asthma. Assuming you aren't a keeper =).

As for the contacts, the mask can fill up with water, but since I don't wear contacts myself I don't know if that would be a problem.