Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-11-2005, 06:24 PM

Default playing AQo too weak? (PP 10$ SnG NL)

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB (t785)
BB (t1215)
UTG (t680)
UTG+1 (t730)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t730)
MP3 (t730)
CO (t760)
Hero (t770)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls t15, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, SB calls t50, BB calls t45, UTG folds, CO calls t45.

Flop: (t252.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, SB folds, BB calls t285, CO calls [t670] t30, Hero folds, BB calls t400.

Turn: (t1282.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t1282.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t1282.50

Surely I was beat by a set or two pair...at least as far as probabilities go. Was this is an idiot fold or what?
Old 11-11-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: playing AQo too weak? (PP 10$ SnG NL)

The converter screwed up, as you put in a raise and then fold without someone coming over the top.

But from what I can read, you might have been able to make things easier on yourself by not raising the CO 10X. If you're going to put in a raise that big, you're pretty much in it for the rest of the hand, especially since this is a $10 SNG and not the main event of the WSOP.

[ QUOTE ]
Surely I was beat by a set or two pair...at least as far as probabilities go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you'll have people pushing here on gutshot draws or A2 here. Short of any specific reads on players, you've got to remember where you're at and who you're generally up against. Those are the "probabilities" I'm going off of with a hand as good as yours.

I make this call 100 percent of the time and have no regrets about losing to aces up or a junk two pair or some other draw that might come in.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Re: playing AQo too weak? (PP 10$ SnG NL)

First, after looking over teh hand history, I don't see why you folded? Unless I'm missing something you made the last large bet and everyone just called.

Now, assuming that in fact someone went allin after your large flop raise, I would almost certainly fold. You really are hoping at that point to be up against an Ace with a lower kicker, which does happen, and happens a lot. However I think 2 pair or a set are a bit more likely and it isn't worth risking your "tournament life" on a top pair hand given a lot of action.

If I had a strong read on the raiser (that i am presuming pushed you off the hand), then I would consider going all th way, but I would have to be pretty sure he would display that much strenght with 2nd pair, or Ace-no kicker.

Keep in mind what the action looks like to someone else. You raised preflop, raised a bettor + reraiser on the flop. If they're thinking about it, you have shown some significant strength and for them to go allin shows even more.