Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: How important is position in PLO8?

And this is the krux of it. The maximum buy-in is relatively shallow in proportion to the average pot size. We cannot use large stacks, in position, to bully very often. Not only because we don't always have a large stack, but because our opponents don't have enough money to avoid the risk of being all-in.

At the $25 PLO8 tables at Party (which I finally started playing, thank God!), someone is going all-in every other hand! This is a totally different game than the one Ciaffone wrote about...

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2005, 04:26 PM

If the opponent is really short, you are right. However when the buy in is 100x the pre-flop bet, it is very difficult for one player to get all-in before the turn without some help.

If you are behind them then you have the choice of deciding whether or not to help them and when - isn't that where some of the value comes from?
Old 09-23-2005, 04:54 PM

Imagine what it was like 7 months ago when the max buy-in at party was 50BB's
Old 09-23-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Imagine what it was like 7 months ago when the max buy-in at party was 50BB's

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember it well with great fondness. Oh how I wish those times were back.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:54 PM

Fallacy, Position is always important particularly in O8 (Ask TJ Cloutier and Mcevoy ).
So if after the flop there is a raise and a reraise in front of you and you have A2 what you going to do?
What you put your opponents on? A23 and AAx? so you call to get quartered? Nope you use your position to make better decisions as more info is out there the later the position.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fallacy, Position is always important particularly in O8 (Ask TJ Cloutier and Mcevoy ).
So if after the flop there is a raise and a reraise in front of you and you have A2 what you going to do?
What you put your opponents on? A23 and AAx? so you call to get quartered? Nope you use your position to make better decisions as more info is out there the later the position.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't need to have position to be able to fold to a bet and a raise preflop. If you limp in and by the time it gets back to you it's 15 bets more to call are you saying you cannot fold now because you don't have position? I love arguements like yours that are nothing but "yes it's important, someone else wrote it in a book so it must be true". Have you ever even played in any of the games we are talking about?
Old 09-24-2005, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes it's important, someone else wrote it in a book so it must be true". Have you ever even played in any of the games we are talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]
Heck lets get back to the point position is important. And yes a lot of the best players/ authors have said its important and no I do not play in your games because its a crap shoot, any one who uses software to help them keep tabs on thsir opponents play etc PTO is a cheat as far as I am concened, try that crap in Vegas and you are in jail, I kid you not ( I understand you do not use the software so you are excluded from my comment). Plus the collusion, disconnections and bots are rampant.
Finaly you dont play in my live games at the Mirage/Orleans in las vegas. I am the asian in the cowboy hat playing the $5/10 game. See you in Vegas
Old 09-24-2005, 12:40 PM

Ribbo wins main pot.
stud7champ shows Jack high and loses pot.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yes it's important, someone else wrote it in a book so it must be true". Have you ever even played in any of the games we are talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]
I do not play in your games because its a crap shoot, any one who uses software to help them keep tabs on thsir opponents play etc PTO is a cheat as far as I am concened, try that crap in Vegas and you are in jail, I kid you not ( I understand you do not use the software so you are excluded from my comment). Plus the collusion, disconnections and bots are rampant.
Finaly you dont play in my live games at the Mirage/Orleans in las vegas. I am the asian in the cowboy hat playing the $5/10 game. See you in Vegas

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not Ribbos #1 supporter, but hell, I think its quite obvious ...

Ribbo > You.

Come on man, PTO = cheating? WTF?
Old 09-24-2005, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Heck lets get back to the point position is important. And yes a lot of the best players/ authors have said its important and no I do not play in your games because its a crap shoot, any one who uses software to help them keep tabs on thsir opponents play etc PTO is a cheat as far as I am concened, try that crap in Vegas and you are in jail, I kid you not ( I understand you do not use the software so you are excluded from my comment). Plus the collusion, disconnections and bots are rampant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shoving preflop is the best thing to happen to the game of pot limit omaha/8 ever. It makes it an "action" game, and takes the emphasis away from the pasty faced nut peddlers. Yet at the same time, because let's be honest, I also want to win, allows me to win without being obvious I have a significant edge over the opponents.