Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Daily Hand Post: \"Amazingly Standard\" AQ?

[ QUOTE ]

To come up with any analysis we have to make estimates about:

- His CCing range
- What he calls the flop with
- What he calls the turn turn
- What he bets the river with when checked to

When you are making so many estimates based on so little information, the analysis wont have much meaning

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are overstating the difficulty. Based on his CC percentage, we can make some reasonable guesses about his range of CC hands. In this case, all the standard good hands plus pretty much any two (or alot of) suited cards seems about right.

Given this, we could count the number of made hands versus draws that he could have. I don't want to do the numbers, but if we can agree that he might have played pretty much any two diamonds this way, it's not hard to see that the river call is correct. Of course, we'd like to know that he would bet a busted draw here, but the majority of players will, so it's a reasonable assumption.

gm
Old 06-25-2005, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
boringly standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't someone post something about hands like these?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't have posted it if I thought it was standard. You might think it's standard, but can you explain why? Probably not.

[/ QUOTE ]

aight, I'll go into more detail since I was the one who wrote boringly standard. Let's start for one, you were pretty sure this was standard, we know that just by the title of the thread alone, plus you had no problem letting klepton post the AIM convo that you had over it. Okay rant on that aside, here's why I think its standard:

Our opponenent plays a lot of hands, and is aggressive post flop for someone who plays almost half of their hands. THis is a perfect spot for someone like him to make a bluff at the river with a drawing hand that missed. I think with his ag factor that you would've been raised by him at some point in the hand if he had caught a pair, so either he rivered you, or he's bluffing trying to get you to fold your AQ UI. I'm not really raggin on you for posting a standard hand, its just that sometimes we need to know that what we did is a good standard play that makes sense on every street. you played it fine Jason
Old 06-25-2005, 01:30 PM

I agree with most of this.

But, I feel the most difficult thing to determine is his calling vs raising hands on the flop and turn.

For players, for example, play flush draws more aggresively than pairs here. For many, its the opposite.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You might think it's standard, but can you explain why? Probably not.

[/ QUOTE ]

PF Raise - no brainer.

On the flop you have two overcards in a decent size pot and were the pre-flop aggressor. You are definitely not folding, so it is best to bet to maximize your chances of winning. You want to try and knock out hands like Q5, Q3, KJ, KQ, QJ, someone holding a single [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (in case you catch the Ace[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], and maybe anybody holding a 2 or a 4 (although an argument could be may that you don't mind them calling b/c if they do pick up a gutshot on the turn, they probably won't have odds to chase).

On the turn, you are HU on a fairly textured board against an somewhat agressive opponent who has done nothing but call thus far. No reason to think your hand is not best, bet to protect it.

On the river, no draws got there except for the unlikely 98, so (as everyone else has pointed out) you check to him to induce a bluff.
If the board had been less textured, and my opponent was capable of folding a pair here, I would fire a 3rd barrel on the river.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

aight, I'll go into more detail since I was the one who wrote boringly standard. Let's start for one, you were pretty sure this was standard, we know that just by the title of the thread alone, plus you had no problem letting klepton post the AIM convo that you had over it. Okay rant on that aside, here's why I think its standard:

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a '?' mark in the subject and you don't know my feelings on whether or not I was okay with the AIM conversation being posted.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not really raggin on you for posting a standard hand, its just that sometimes we need to know that what we did is a good standard play that makes sense on every street.

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted it because I want to understand better why the action is correct.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There is a '?' mark in the subject and you don't know my feelings on whether or not I was okay with the AIM conversation being posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, it was an assumption, and I didn't mean anything by it. I'm really not trying to be a dick, I think its just coming off that way.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Absolutely pwned. Now all we need to do is teach him to like the Beatles...

[/ QUOTE ]

Can it be taught? Whats wrong with Jason...

PS: Just folded 77 to a raise when I was next to act, MP2 - no limpers. Flop comes 77. This thread s bad luck for me, but I like the river with an A and a good kicker anyway.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2005, 11:02 PM

this is standard for me also
Old 06-26-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But can you say why?
Old 06-26-2005, 01:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But can you say why?

[/ QUOTE ]

"why"