Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2005, 02:31 AM

Default SB Hand in Tourney

NL tournament down to 3 players. I have a small chip lead but all 3 players are about even. Blinds are 50-100. All players are reasonably stacked (no short stack(

Button folds, Hero calls in the small blind with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] , BB Checks

Flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks, BB bets 200, Hero Check raises 450, BB re raises 850. BB is a player you've played with many times and have a solid read that this player does not have a set. What is your action? and why.

a) fold
B) Call
C) Raise
D) Raise all in
Old 10-29-2005, 07:52 AM

Default Re: SB Hand in Tourney

[ QUOTE ]
NL tournament down to 3 players. I have a small chip lead but all 3 players are about even. Blinds are 50-100. All players are reasonably stacked (no short stack(

Button folds, Hero calls in the small blind with 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Unless the player is very weak and will give you their stack with one pair, and won't raise you as a rule when you limp, I wouldn't have called here. If you can't raise with it, fold it. You were lucky he limped.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks, BB bets 200, Hero Check raises 450, BB re raises 850. BB is a player you've played with many times and have a solid read that this player does not have a set. What is your action? and why.

a) fold
B) Call
C) Raise
D) Raise all in

[/ QUOTE ]

You played the hand and got what you wanted. If there is no chance the player has two pair, could they have a flush draw and middle pair? I'm not sure if you raise +450 or up TO 450, so pot odds are hard to calculate. Does he have pot odds to call your re-raise or all-in with a flush draw, or TPTK? What would he have reraised with here?

Not enough info to give you a better answer.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You played the hand and got what you wanted. If there is no chance the player has two pair, could they have a flush draw and middle pair? I'm not sure if you raise +450 or up TO 450, so pot odds are hard to calculate. Does he have pot odds to call your re-raise or all-in with a flush draw, or TPTK? What would he have reraised with here?

Not enough info to give you a better answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry i wasn't clear enough in my first post.
Hero 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], BB ???

Preflop $200 in pot

flopK [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero checks, BB bets $200 (pot $400, 2:1)
Hero raises an ADDITIONAL $250 (pot 850, 3.4:1)
BB raises an ADDITONAL $600 ($1700 in pot, 2.83: 1)

if i call pot sits at 2300 going to turn.
I figure to have about 2500 (home game don't remember exactly sorry). The BB had about 600 less than me so an all in bet would be (1900) put the pot at 4200, 1900 to call, giving the BB 2.21:1 to call)

This is making more sense as i look over it more, the BB is only justified to call here with a flush draw, anything else and they wouldn't have the right odds.

Here's the end result (i hesitate to put results in a post GOD FORBID someone thinks this is a bad beat post)

I went all in, BB had a flush draw, called and crippled me. How should I have played this differently. With this hand and some others recently i think i do i have a leak in my game (namely putting all my money in the pot too quickly when i have the best hand. Although i'm right almost always i'm thinking clearly enough about what kind of odds i'm offering to call.)

I think i've figured out a few things writing this post but if you can add anything please do.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:04 PM

Not sure why that last post was so cluttered. I spaced it out when i writing it to make it readable but it kept coming out all bunched up.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:56 PM

Easy push for me due to your read that you have the best hand at the moment... make him lay down his TPTK. Your hand is best right now but vulnerable. If he does have the flush draw and he's bluff-raising you he's pretty much commited and you're just going to have to ride it out.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:38 PM

"NL tournament down to 3 players. I have a small chip lead but all 3 players are about even. Blinds are 50-100. All players are reasonably stacked (no short stack(

Button folds, Hero calls in the small blind with 10 5 , BB Checks

Flop is K 10 5

Hero checks, BB bets 200, Hero Check raises 450, BB re raises 850. BB is a player you've played with many times and have a solid read that this player does not have a set."

became

"Sorry i wasn't clear enough in my first post.
Hero 10 5 , BB ???

Preflop $200 in pot

flop K 10 5

Hero checks, BB bets $200 (pot $400, 2:1)
Hero raises an ADDITIONAL $250 (pot 850, 3.4:1)
BB raises an ADDITONAL $600 ($1700 in pot, 2.83: 1)

if i call pot sits at 2300 going to turn.
I figure to have about 2500 (home game don't remember exactly sorry). The BB had about 600 less than me so an all in bet would be (1900) put the pot at 4200, 1900 to call, giving the BB 2.21:1 to call)

This is making more sense as i look over it more, the BB is only justified to call here with a flush draw, anything else and they wouldn't have the right odds."

Unless he had a better two pair. You didn't seem to consider that in your reasoning, but with KT on the board, shorted handed in the BB, you have to at least consider it. K5 is more of a stretch, but he got a free flop, so who knows?

"I went all in, BB had a flush draw, called and crippled me. How should I have played this differently. With this hand and some others recently i think i do i have a leak in my game (namely putting all my money in the pot too quickly when i have the best hand. Although i'm right almost always i'm thinking clearly enough about what kind of odds i'm offering to call.)"

Just because you may have the best hand right now, doesn't mean you always have the advantage. Your flop raise was too small, for one. He has immediate pot odds just to call your $250 raise.

If he had overcards, here an Ace and face, he could have an even better advantage over you (depending what you'd pay off when runner-runner or the flush comes)

"(i hesitate to put results in a post GOD FORBID someone thinks this is a bad beat post)"

We can't think it's a bad beat post, because it wasn't a bad beat. He had odds to call.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:41 AM

Wow that's hard to read.