Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2004, 12:02 PM

Default AK (or any overcards) with LAG semi-maniacs

In a 90 minute span last night, dealt AKo (5 times) and AKs (twice). Lost every time. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] This is not a bad beat post - I need to get better!

Eight handed table. $4-$8. Table is very LAG. One pure maniac (raise pre-flop 80% of hands) and two semi-maniacs. The favorite theme of the day is bluff check-raising on the turn. Have seen each of them call down to the river with Ace-high, or middle pair, weak kicker. Hand to chew on:

My main question: when the pot gets so big, are you simply committed to seeing the showdown, no matter what?

Hand 1: Hero is in MP2 with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

EP (maniac) raises. MP1 calls. Hero calls. CO (semi-maniac) 3-bets. BB calls. EP calls. MP1 calls. Hero caps. All call. Five to flop for 20.5 SB.

Flop: 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks, EP checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets, CO raises, BB folds, EP calls, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn (13 BB): 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

EP checks, Hero checks, CO bets, EP raises. Hero folds. CO calls.

OK, should I have led out here? I was planning on check-raising the turn if CO bet, but EP's raise caught me by surprise. Now, even after EP's raise, there are 16 BB in pot. I'm getting 8-1. I think I may still be drawing live to my A or K. Am I basically committed to seeing the showdown, even if I have to call two cold on the turn, and potentially getting 3-bet on the turn by semi-maniac?

If EP just calls, still check-raise, or just call down?

River: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

EP checks, CO bets, EP folds (he then pipes up that he was hoping everyone folded to his bluff check-raise). CO turns over A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I fume due to my incredibly poor play.

I won't go into the other 6 AK hands, but they are similar, in that the pot was huge pre-flop, and there was aggression on the turn each time. In this hand, I think I played it properly up until the turn (so it's clear, my flop smooth call was in anticipation of a 3 bet from someone).

Help me with big overcards in big pots!
Old 08-13-2004, 12:18 PM

Default Re: AK (or any overcards) with LAG semi-maniacs

I think you played it fine. Don't be so results-oriented. Wait until you actually have something before punishing those clowns. No reason to force it - that's what maniacs live for, putting other people on tilt.

Personally, I have a lot of trouble playing at a table with maniacs, because my patience tends to wear thin (in other words, I don't practice what I preach [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] ). I usually find a different table.