Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2005, 04:06 PM

Default Re: QQ out of position against a reraise

I think that you're overplaying QQ in that situation. Reraising to $12 is bad because it's putting half of villain's stack in. If he calls, he's still defining his hand as either AA or KK, except now, you have to pay him off on any non A/K flop.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:11 PM

I would happily call the turn.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:31 PM

If you are going to fold that turn, then you should have just folded to his reraise preflop in the first place.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:57 PM

I'm gonna give this a shot and say that there are many more hands that you're beating at the moment than hands that you're losing to. Granted, the hands that you're beating are quickly getting reduced to not that many more than the hands your losing to with every bit of action villain puts in the pot.

Everyone seems to make the point that if you're going to play for set value, play for set value and if you're going to play for best hand, you have no reason to think otherwise at this point. Anyway, you're getting 2:1 on a call and you're a little under 2:1 favorite against his range. This is assuming a very reasonable TT+, AKo, AKs range for villain. You're still a 3:2 favorite against JJ+, AKo, AKs range.

Hell, you're even money against TT+. Calling here is mui +EV
Old 12-08-2005, 07:02 PM

I think check raising the flop all in is better then calling the turn.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:16 PM

i personally think that you're reducing your equity by check-raising all in on the flop. Villain will never fold AA or KK to that bet and will fold AK some significant portion of the time (~30% of the time???). He may also fold JJ or TT some very small percentage of the time (~10%??), although I doubt it's that high.

Let's just say that a check-raise all-in in this spot allows him to get away from hands we have crushed almost 1/3 of the time and allows us to get crushed 100% of the time when he has AA or KK.

If we know villain will push the turn with AK when checked to, then check-calling all-in on the turn when no A or K falls is the optimal strategy, IMO. If we don't know that he will bet the turn but will check a whiffed AK to see the river, then potting the turn is best, i think.

This concept, i admit, is stolen from a tournament concept by Gigabet. When he has a hand that he doesn't mind going broke with, he plays in such a way as to keep his opponent's range as wide as possible, therefore increasing his equity. Check-raising all-in on the flop definitely narrows villain's calling range, and not necessarily in a good way.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think check raising the flop all in is better then calling the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate that line. It's a great way to lose the most against better hands and win the least against worse hands.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:24 PM

I think this is a good laydown. You are not good here enough of the time to make this call IMO.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that a bet/fold is the right move on the flop. I think that when UTG+2 raises an UTG+1 open-raise, it usually means a very big hand, and without a read, I'll assume that he's not so aggro as to play JJ or AK this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Just lead the flop.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:27 AM

I agree that with the amount of action villain is willing to put in on the flop and turn that AK gets a little more remote on each street, but would nobody play TT or JJ in this manner?

If we only restrict his range to JJ+, we're still getting odds to call this bet since we're getting 2:1 and we're only 37% against his range. It's a somewhat thin call, but it is a mistake to fold nonetheless.

I think villain played this hand well up until he folded on the turn. Unless you are positive villain would only play QQ, KK, and AA in this way, you're getting odds to call this bet.