Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 06:07 PM

Default An early FTP freeroll move

I don't have the hand history, so you'll have to bear with general details.

50 FTP points freeroll, 265 players, 196ish left, I have JTo in MP. EP with equalish stack to me (he had about 1700 to my 1600) raises 4x to 160 (20/40 blinds), and I call hoping to catch a piece of the flop and push them off their hand postflop. Flop comes 892r, giving me an OESD. EP bets the pot and I push. Reasoning - if he has AK or two higher cards, then there's no way he can call this. If he has an underpair he should lay it down. If he has an overpair and calls, I still have 8 outs to complete my straight which will almost surely be the best hand come river. He calls with JJ, turn and river brick, and I'm out.

Now I don't care about the results. I lost, big deal - but is this a good move to pull? I figured if he had the overcards he'd muck and I'd chip up on this pot. If he called and I made my straight, I'd have a good doubleup to give me some room to play some solid, aggressive poker. Was it too early to make a move like this? Was the fact that it was a freeroll a huge consideration at all? FTP freerolls pay out only to the top couple places, so even if I hit top 10 I don't cash and I'd have just been wasting my time. I think this was a solid move, but I'm curious what you guys think. I think my main mistake was calling preflop with JTo, but let's pretend I was in a blind here - was my postflop play correct?
Old 11-26-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: An early FTP freeroll move

Fold would have been correct pre-flop and post-flop at these levels.

So it is easier for others to follow the money:

20/40 Blind money in
4x Raise with OP calling
380 in the pot.
Post Flop - Original raiser brings it up another 380 (720 Total).
OP comes over the top for an additional 1060 (2160 in the Pot)
Raiser Calls for a Pot of 3220