Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Preflop play in a DeepStack tourney on Stars

This is in a $20+2 Stars NL Hold'em DeepStack tournament. I still don't know what to do with AJo in the Small Blind when everyone folds to Villian who raises to 750 in late position with blinds of 100/200.

My stack is 10.5k, he has me covered but is not a huge stack (he has about 14k, if I remember correctly).

I'm not sure if it was a weak play but I folded preflop.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Preflop play in a DeepStack tourney on Stars

maybe you could try the stop and go.. here is a link to an excellent article by greg raymer on the use of it. if this link doesn't work, you can find the article on the thread The 2+2 Forums: An Anthology of 2+2 Wisdom on MTTs.

http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/show...amp;o=&vc=1
Old 11-18-2005, 07:15 PM

Please don't stop and go with this hand. If I think Villain is just trying to steal blinds and has a problem laying down hands, I might call, but I probably fold some of the time too, just because we're so far behind AQ and AK. I really like to see a Jack, but I'm not a big fan of seeing an Ace on the flop, especially if he comes out firing.

Very read dependent.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:18 PM

Calling 750 preflop and pushing 9000 into a 1500'ish pot on any flop isn't a stop and go. It's just stupid.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:23 PM

I agree, but what should I do?
Old 11-18-2005, 07:25 PM

The stop and go has a specific application and this isn't a spot for it.

Basically, the stop and go is for when you experience a raise to you and you have a hand that is too good to fold but you think the raiser will call you if you move all-in because you don't have enough money to deny him odds with a re-raise. You also must be first to act after the flop, which you will of course push all-in.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:28 PM

calling may be the worst option of all, although it isn't really that terrible with the both of you deep stacked.

if you really don't want to fold, you could always re-raise before the flop. Or you could always just call and stick a nice sized bet on the flop regardless of what comes. Or you could fold.

I don't think any of these options is a huge mistake, whichever way you want to go.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:32 PM

Given the garbage people were playing (that I saw at the table, I didn't have a read on Villian), I think I could have raised to 2k preflop... but that could result in seriously sticky situations if he decided to play with me... I'm still confused.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:48 PM

If everyone says this is read dependent, would a fold be in order if you had just been moved to a new table with unknowns?
Old 11-18-2005, 07:50 PM

didn't mean to give bad advice person, just finished reading the article by raymer and wanted to pass it on... there are other great posts on that thread as well [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]