Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 12:12 PM

Default JJ

UTG is 69/22/1.5. I've seen him CR the turn HU with nothing, TP, and 3rd pair. He's also raised flops with TP HU, so he seems to mix it up a lot.

MP is unknown.

This one felt weird.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Turn: (9.66 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, Hero checks.

River: (9.66 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.66 BB
Old 10-25-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: JJ

the turn check makes zero sense to me. you are giving infinite odds in a big pot and you very well could be ahead. I think you are giving free cards to a combined 5-15 outs here by far enough to make up for the times you get c/r when behind.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:33 PM

I think you played this hand fine, cap flop is a bit extreme.

If either UTG or MP has clubs with an overcard he has about equal equity to you and if he as two under cards with clubs you are a decent favorite. If one of them has 2 pair or a set your a fairly well behind. So I would say that the cap on the flop has little to no EV.

I think the turn is the toughest spot. I we are ahead, I would hate to give them a free chance to beat me. This gives us 4 scenarios when we bet:

They both fold: No way this is happening

UTG C/R'ed and MP cold calls: I think we can call and reconsider the river. If the board paired or a paint club fell I would be tempted to call one.

UTG C/R'ed and MP folds: I would get to showdown no matter what fell on the river.

UTG calls and MP C/R'ed: I think you can fold this, you have got to be behind and and who knows if you club is good.

UTG calls and MP folds: Bet the river.

UTG calls and MP calls: Bet the river.

If at anytime the turn gets 3-bet by MP this is an easy fold.

Hope you won,

Joe
Old 10-25-2005, 12:34 PM

Hmmn. I think I bet this turn. I don't think checking is awful, but I think a bet is better.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:47 PM

Since it seems so likely based on this board texture that MP is going nuts with a big draw or pair + draw rather than a made hand, why not call the flop 3-bet then really hammer them on a blank turn when your equity is much better? You might also be able to make UTG fold a 4, 5, or 7 outer this way which would be a bonus. If the turn isn't so safe (like the Tc for instance) you can just go into calldown/bet if checked to mode and hopefully a couple UTG overcalls will console you a bit.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since it seems so likely based on this board texture that MP is going nuts with a big draw or pair + draw rather than a made hand, why not call the flop 3-bet then really hammer them on a blank turn when your equity is much better? You might also be able to make UTG fold a 4, 5, or 7 outer this way which would be a bonus. If the turn isn't so safe (like the Tc for instance) you can just go into calldown/bet if checked to mode and hopefully a couple UTG overcalls will console you a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there is a lot of merit in this line.