Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 03:12 PM

Default Re: I had the same hand dealt to me twice in a row...

I am not clear what your question really is and you are describing an event that is different than what you percieved.
The event you percieve is: the probability that the exact same hand will be dealt twice in a row on the next two deals.
The event that has happened is: the probability that an exact hand of two cards are dealt (any two cards it does not matter because these two events are mutualy exclusive).
The key is that the first hand does not affect the chance or the second hand unless you declare before the hands that the first and second hand will be the same. I hope I am clear.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's only like 1300+ to 1. You were dealt 92; the chances of 92 (same suits) coming next hand are (2/52)*(1/51).

It would be 1M+ to 1 to be dealt the same hand twice in a row if you named the hand before it was dealt to you the first time, i.e., before the first deal you wagered you'd be dealt 92 (same suit) twice in a row, then you'd need some pretty astronomical odds to make your wager. Once a hand is dealt, you only need exceptional odds to wager that it will come again next hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this happen to me last time at a B&M. It was the exact same hand, on subsequent deals. It was interesting to know that I held the exact same two cards, two deals in a row, and I wondered about those odds.

Do I get a great big prize for that? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2005, 06:54 PM

I think you are right
Pr of being dealt any hand twice = 1/1,326
Pr of being dealt a particular hand twice = [1/(1,326)^2]
Old 06-22-2005, 06:57 PM

I'm new to all this online poker thing. BUt is there any agency that controls the randomization algorithm of the online poker websites? The boards look too much coordinated to me. Coordinated boards = More action = More rake
Old 06-22-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Say I'd played 350k hands and the odds were 7m:1

You could say that the chances of this happening to me were about 5%.

[/ QUOTE ]

To figure out the odds of something like this, the easier way is to calculate the probability of the given even *not* happening, and then subtract that from 1. So the probability of your getting the same time twice in a row is 1/1326 for any given two hands. The probability of getting the same hand twice in a row in three hands would be 1 - (1325/1326)^2. The probability of 1 - (1325/1326)^924 is 0.5, so you could expect to get the same hand twice in a row about half the time in a session of 924 hands. I think this is correct. Not 100% sure, but seems right.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Say I'd played 350k hands and the odds were 7m:1

You could say that the chances of this happening to me were about 5%.

[/ QUOTE ]

To figure out the odds of something like this, the easier way is to calculate the probability of the given even *not* happening, and then subtract that from 1. So the probability of your getting the same time twice in a row is 1/1326 for any given two hands. The probability of getting the same hand twice in a row in three hands would be 1 - (1325/1326)^2. The probability of 1 - (1325/1326)^924 is 0.5, so you could expect to get the same hand twice in a row about half the time in a session of 924 hands. I think this is correct. Not 100% sure, but seems right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense.

This sounds like how they calculate the prop bet "no two people have the same birthday in this room".

They don't work out scenarios like 3 people havinvg the same birthday...

Thanks.

It's been a long time since I've tried to figure out any of this stuff. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

--Dave.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:54 PM

So, did you bet it up the second time? I always do and usually win. I think it's a glitch(just like in The Matrix), and oh yeah, it's rigged too. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2005, 10:25 PM

HOLY [censored] [censored]
Old 06-22-2005, 10:27 PM

I'm a software developer, and while I'm not an expert on random number generators, I've been told that this is a natural occurence. Yes, they do have random number generator certifying companies, and I've heard that Poker Stars is the only site to have theirs certified. I don't know if that is correct. Anyway, I have the same hands dealt to me in a row on a daily basis. Usually happens at least once a day.

I suppose I am more worried about collusion than I am a random number generator being off.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HOLY [censored] [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is starting to get old.