Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Hook me, OOP

Similar to Ed's famous $3-$6 hand post, but I'm out of position on this one. I was going for a flop CR, but whiffed. Main question: does anyone bet the river after the turn cold-caller?

I just sat down, and had about 7 hands total at the table.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (15 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls.

River: (13.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB
Old 06-11-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Hook me, OOP

Why did you check the flop? Isn't this pretty much a standard value bet, but also to see where you stand and maybe thin the field a little?
Old 06-11-2005, 11:36 AM

bet the flop, the rest plays a lot different after that.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was going for a flop CR, but whiffed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why on god's green earth were you going for a c/r in the first place?
Old 06-11-2005, 12:40 PM

With so many callers to my pf 3-bet (I imagine you wanted to isolate with your raise from the BB) I would want to bet the flop to represent a K. If you get raised, you can put them on a K or flush draw.

If you check the flop, you not only risk giving a free card, but you lose control of the hand. You 3-bet pf, so lead the flop. Check-raising won't give you much information, because anyone with the K will now fear AK, KK, AA which confuses your turn strategy. You won't know if you are up against a flush draw, a 2, a K, or a hand worse than yours.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:45 PM

flop must be bet here, my friend
hand plays alot differently if u do
Old 06-11-2005, 12:45 PM

Concerning this hand, I think that the flop c/r is a ver bad idea. Anyone who has a K or 2 is calling and a flush draw still has the correct odds so there is nothing to protect against. You should be betting the flop and take it from there, most likely betting the turn and bet/folding the river. I played with you at 2/4 and I suggest you move back down and stay there a little longer based on what I have seen.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:58 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't go for a check raise here on the flop. All you do is pot commit more people to seeing more cards to beat you. That might be ok to do with a set on teh flop or a Straight flush draw to the nuts or something, but not something vulnerable like AK.

the only situation I *might* consider a c/r here is if I'm absolutly sure the guy to my right (ie I'm first to act and he's last to act and it will check around to him) is going to be the first person to bet, and I can raise him, thus making it two bets for everyone else.

But that requires knowing the table pretty well and doesn't happen too often.