Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2004, 10:40 AM

Default A-10 suited facing a raise

Don't know if I played this fine, or terribly. I know I made a mistake pre-flop, but how big of a mistake? Two questions: 1) how big of a mistake pre-flop, and 2) did I play the river correctly?

PP $2-$4. Antagonists are UTG and SB. Hero in MP2. SB has shown loose tendencies, calling UTG raises with K-10 offsuit, etc... UTG has not gotten out of line at all, and appears sane, but I also haven't been at the table all that long.

Before I continue, I am aware of p. 62 of Ed's book. But, I think he is referring to a tight raiser here. I don't know if I classify UTG as rock-solid tight, but certainly not crazy loose either.

Hero is in MP2 with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG raises, folded to Hero who calls. Folded to button, who calls. Both blinds call.

Mistake here? And how big? My first thought was to raise. I can't see folding this hand at PP $2-$4 unless I am against a known tight player.

Flop (10 SB): 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG bets, Hero raises, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds. UTG calls.

Turn (8 BB): 10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG checks, Hero bets, SB calls, UTG folds

River (10 BB): 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB bets, Hero raises, SB re-raises, Hero calls.

Thoughts? Results to follow ...
Old 09-20-2004, 10:48 AM

Default Re: A-10 suited facing a raise

I don't like the preflop coldcall with ATs. I'd coldcall if I knew there would be multiple coldcallers after me, or several people had already coldcalled, but I'd want multiway action and a high chance that it won't get 3-bet behind me, none of which you had at the time.

Postflop I play the same. I'm tempted to cap the river but SB really did come to life on the river and not the flop/turn. I guess he has 75, which was open-ended on the flop, but he might just be whacky and have a worse ten or something. Ah, screw it, go ahead and cap the river and lose like a man.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:56 AM

Default Re: A-10 suited facing a raise

[ QUOTE ]
SB bets, Hero raises, SB re-raises, Hero calls.

Thoughts? Results to follow ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Results?? I'm pretty sure you lost. Either to a straight, or a set full of ten's house.

A10s facing an EP raiser is not a great hand. Don't let the results of flopping top pair a and monster draw cloud your thinking.

Next time the flop could be A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG bets, you raise, he re-raised, now what?