Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Re: Stars vs. Party...is the gap closing?

One problem with stocking Stars with fish is that there are too many sharks. What you need is a huge dump of fish at the start and continued fish reinforcements in order to give the fish a chance at survival. Little dollops of fish at spread increments are just chum. One reason fish survive and even thrive at Party is that a whole horde of them school in each pot which makes staying in with dumb ass draws not really that bad since the pot odds are favorable. For instance you have AK offsuit and raised coming in and still got 8 callers, : ), the flop comes AH 8D 7D. You get a check raise in and push out 2 people, yuck. Of the six people in the pot with you one has the flush draw, two people have different straight draws, and the other three have pairs with gutshots or backdoor flush draws. Against each person you have a great chance but against them all your chances are still good but not great. Each one of these fish is kind of foolish but all together as a school of fish it makes their bad decision making reasonable. This won't work on Stars since there is one maybe two fish and 7 sharks, until that changes I don't think the fish get to live very long.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stars deserves to be ten times the size of Party. Why? Because the rake's lower. At low limit, the rake at Party is often around 10%. For the smae hands at Stars it's 5%. Now that might not sound a lot, but look at PT stats for the two sites if you play low limit and the difference is astounding.

Long live Stars.

Onionman

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you meant "Long Live Higher Stakes."
Old 06-13-2005, 04:26 PM

I have been playing at stars for about two years. Game selection has always been a problem there. the last three or four months the traffic has really started to pick up there.

The games are tougher but I have always done fine there, admittedly not as good as party but I always try to find a few games there first before I check out party. They run their business so much better that they have my loyalty to an extent.

THE BEST WAY TO MAKE YOURSELF HEARD BY PARTY IS TO TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE.

Only when party loses a significant chunk of their business will they improve their software and customer service and lower their rake across the board.

So try to find games at pokerstars or another good smaller site before you go to party.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:44 PM

"A 3rd Pokerstars WSOP champion would be something Stars could REALLY push if they were to get so lucky. "

With the number of folks in the Big One from Stars, you got to like their chances for a 3-peat.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:49 PM

That would be a pure magical thing for Stars! With the ability to see patterns where they don't exist, 1.3 bajillion new players for PS by the end of the month.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:55 PM

Star's also without a doubt is going to send on avgerage bette player to the WSOP.

I will play there with a bonus, but I need a bonus. Hint to Poker Stars. I still would be a profitable player for them, since I play 2/4 six max there.

-SFWUSC
Old 06-13-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope - generally higher at Party at higher level games as well. Why should they charge more? Are they offering something the other sites aren't?

No reason, except that players don't bother to check the rake before choosing which site to play.

Onion
Old 06-13-2005, 05:35 PM

So if players could just go somewhere else how is Party doing anything wrong/unfair?
Old 06-13-2005, 05:35 PM

Another reason to love Stars - while you're clearing a bonus, you can play rake free SnGs! You need 5 points to clear $1 of bonus, and $1 of tournament fees gets you 5 points. It's wonderful, and I only hope the ring games loosen up in the next few months as well.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope - generally higher at Party at higher level games as well. Why should they charge more? Are they offering something the other sites aren't?

No reason, except that players don't bother to check the rake before choosing which site to play.

Onion

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider that things aside from rake can make some games better than others.