Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2003, 09:17 PM

Default Re: JTs against a 3-bet

If you are going to open raise with this hand, and you happen to get an (awesome) flop and turn like this, I think you need to be very aggressive or you should simply fold preflop.

First, you should always open-raise with JTs two positions off the button. Folding shouldn't be considered.

You don't need to be very aggressive with this hand against a pre-flop 3-bettor. You may have run into a bigger hand and should adjust your play accordingly.

Old 02-16-2003, 09:40 PM

If you are going to open raise with this hand, and you happen to get an (awesome) flop and turn like this, I think you need to be very aggressive or you should simply fold preflop.

I think many people fail to realize that aggression loses much of the value headsup that it has multiway. Primarily, you should be aggressive headsup for two reasons:

1) To get your opponent to put in an extra bet while you have the best hand
2) To get your opponent to fold a very marginal hand that is better than yours (eg. an unimproved big Ace)

In this hand, JTG has real reason to be worried about being behind on the turn. Fortunately he probably has 14 outs to improve to the best hand if he is behind. The problem is, very rarely will you find an opponent who will fold an overpair headsup. The turn raise is not too bad because JTG has so many outs if behind... but it would have been much better had JTG had position in this hand... instead of having to checkraise. Then JTG could then consider checking behind on the river unimproved if called.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:33 AM

I think that the checkraise when you pick up a flush draw play is overused. It's just so
transparent because (almost) no one I know balances it out by checkraising their made hands
on the turn like they should. Whenever someone checkraises me on the turn and a second
flush card showed up I 3-bet and then make them fold the best hand when their flush card
misses. I'm not saying you don't, but I find that this play works much better if the last time
I checkraised someone on the turn I had a good hand and it's definitely something
to keep in mind when debating whether to try the play.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:26 AM

It's just so transparent because (almost) no one I know balances it out by checkraising their made hands on the turn like they should.

I'd play TT the same way I played this hand many times.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:43 AM

Like I said in my original post I'm not saying you don't balance out appropriately since I obviously
have never played with you, I'm just saying it's something I see a lot. It's not a matter of would
you play TT the same way it's more a matter of would you play your JTs in a more straightforward
way most of the time.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:54 AM

Like I said in my original post I'm not saying you don't balance out appropriately since I obviously have never played with you, I'm just saying it's something I see a lot.

I agree with you 100%. Making a 'tricky' play isn't tricky if you always make the same play.

I'd like to think I balance my tricky plays with straight forward plays. Actually, the more I play, the more straight forward I get.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:04 AM

Default RESULTS

My opponent mucked AK face up to my turn check raise.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:34 AM

Default The leak in your opponent\'s game

He's almost sure to just call me with a big pair

This seems to be a significant leak in your opponent's game. If he would re-raise your check-raise with an overpair then I think your check-raise would be bad.

If this is in fact the way your opponent plays then you should have played the hand in exactly the same way if the flop was 952.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:03 PM

Default Re: I like your play

On Wed nights there is a no limit hold'em tournament at Mohegan Sun.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:49 PM

First, you should always open-raise with JTs two positions off the button. Folding shouldn't be considered.

I don't agree. Does everyone make this play? How about JTo? Personally, I feel like these hands should be folded more often than not.

In the case of JTGs hand, if all the fish have folded and all the tight players are behind you and in the blinds, I wouldn't blame you for popping it with 84o.

What a great position to be in at the table. Hope you had a good session..