Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 02:59 PM

Default QJs hand in middle position, flop comes the wrong suit

Comments on all streets, please. In particular, should I have 3-bet the flop? I'm trying to correct anything going wrong with my postflop play, because I posted my stats last night and people didn't see anything too horrendous going on there to explain my losses so far other than just running bad.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero calls, CO folds.

Turn: (6 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, UTG calls.

River: (9 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 11 BB
Old 05-29-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: QJs hand in middle position, flop comes the wrong suit

Raise preflop. You played it fine postflop.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:04 PM

i think this is the best way to play it. sb might have 2 pair or a pair + A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. when he checks the turn it pretty obvious that you are ahead.
Old 05-29-2005, 03:07 PM

Hm, I was considering raising, but decided that I'd have liked to be in the CO or on the button to raise with this hand. It was in my first orbit at the table, so I didn't have any very sophisticated reads on any of the players. I'm raising here preflop because the limper probably has a weaker hand than mine, and to hopefully knock out Ax and Kx hands behind me?
Old 05-29-2005, 03:24 PM

And possibly gain position, and take initiative in the hand. When he misses and you bet, you take down the pot. If you limp, different story. You want to try to fold everyone else out and increase your chances of winning the pot right now.