Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2005, 04:10 PM

Default 1st hand HU 5/10 facing a big overbet on river

Hi,

I am above all interested in your advice on the river action. The opponent in this hand is know to be good and tricky, but beatable. This is the first hand of the session. The reasoning behind the smallish riverbet is as follows:

1) villain will often call this bet just to see the hand if he has anything that has a bit of showdown value
2) if he has to fold, he'll be irritated cause it is stupid to have to fold to such a smallish bet

Now that he pushes allin, hero needs to value his hand. What could villain have here? Would you think Hero's hand is good enough often enough to call or is this an easy laydown? What would be your reasons to call or fold this hand?

thanks,

Marnix

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $10 BB (2 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Hero ($600)
BB ($497)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $10.
<font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $30</font>, Hero (poster) calls $20.

Flop: ($60) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $30</font>, Hero calls $30.

Turn: ($120) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: ($120) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $437</font>
Old 05-02-2005, 04:41 PM

Default Re: 1st hand HU 5/10 facing a big overbet on river

[ QUOTE ]
The reasoning behind the smallish riverbet is as follows:

1) villain will often call this bet just to see the hand if he has anything that has a bit of showdown value
2) if he has to fold, he'll be irritated cause it is stupid to have to fold to such a smallish bet

[/ QUOTE ]

Despite all this, I hate the $20 river bet...

Fold to the raise
Old 05-02-2005, 06:15 PM

Easy fold. Raise the flop to challenge his weak continuation bet.

I hate the river bet because your passive play has been signalling a weak hand, and the underbet screams mediocre hand like middle pair or TPWK. You've defined your hand pretty well as something that can't call a huge overbet. But despite the fact that you are asking for a bluff raise, he'll have a better hand (QA-QT, KT, AJ) enough of the time that you can't call.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he'll have a better hand (QA-QT, KT, AJ) enough of the time that you can't call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant really see him play a hand like AQ or KQ like this. Why would he ever check it on both turn and river? He could, but i dont think he would.

I know that the riverbet signals weakness. My main question is: does he have me beat &gt;50%? Your advice seems a bit contradictionary in that respect, as you read me as very weak, but nevertheless thinks doesnt bluffs me often enough here to call. How often would you estimate am I beat?

Marnix