Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2003, 01:17 AM

Default What\'s your favorite fold? (aka a thin excuse to post mine)

All the talk about saving bets on these boards got me to thinking about my favorite folds of all time. Everyone out there has to have a few fantastic, incredible, spot-on laydowns. Hopefully I'll get to read some good stories. Anyway, here's one of mine. The game was 3-6 live, and I was a poker newbie (although I had read a few books.) I was just crushing the game, and a bit of animosity had developed between myself and the older gentleman two seats to my left, what with me being a young hotshot punk, and acting like I had everything figured out. He was a bit frustrated, having blown a quite a few chips, many of which were in the giant pot I was stacking when the hand came up. It was folded to me in MP and I quit stacking for a second to glance casually at my cards, an ATo. I raised, while saying to him "What the hell, it's your money anyway", or words to that effect. He wanted to play, but only had enought to call my raise, with one chip left over- heads up to the flop. He gestured at his chip runner, who was still in line at the cage, saying "that money plays". The flop came T 8 6, and I checked, planning to irritate him further with some fancy play. But as I watched him, I started to change my mind. The second he saw the flop, his eyes went for that chip runner- still in line. Then he turned to a friend at the next table. "Jimmy, let me borrow a stack. Just fifty... just for a minute..." All of a sudden I just knew- he had the nuts. I could see it on his face: the way he was so confident that we was going to be giving those chips right back, the way he looked at me like the Poker Gods had finally righted the world and I was about to get my comeuppance. So I mucked, to no action, and said "Don't bother, pops, I got nothing." He said "You're lucky you don't, you skinny little..." and tabled 79s.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:15 AM

Default Re: What\'s your favorite fold? (aka a thin excuse to post mine)

You shoulda said, "Top pair, top kicker, i'm laying that down you old bastard, cause you got 7,9 and I;m not gonna draw dead you decrepid piece of [censored]."
Old 04-21-2003, 08:40 AM

He's not drawing dead...

I don't know about favorite laydowns (I don't ever like folding), but I remember my least favorite laydown. I was playing NL 5 card stud against the world's biggest maniac. I had already doubled through my $300 buyin twice on him and he was out to get me. I started a hand with (6)A and he started with (x)K. I had about $1300 in my stack to his ~$300 and I basically decided that as long as I could beat his board, I was going to gamble with him for that 300. He bet $50 on 2nd street and I called. I picked up a 5 to his 9. He bet $100 and I called. On 4th, I got a 3 to his 2, leaving the boards (6)A53 vs (x)K92. He again bet $100 and I called, leaving him a very small stack. On 5th, I paired and caught a 6, against his 4, with the final boards being (6)A526 vs (x)K954, meaning he could only beat me with a K or 9 underneath. He now pulled out a huge stack of $100 bills that I hadn't realized he had on the table (oops) and said "I put you all in". Hem haw, hem haw, hem haw...fold. He flips over his down card 7 and I decide if I can't call when I think I have him beat, I'm too far over my head and quit the game.

Well...you wanted interesting stories?
Old 04-21-2003, 09:23 AM

C'mon, I don't think I was that mean. Besides, I'm a much nicer person now. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2003, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the story, Dave. NL certainly makes for some better folds. Unfortunately I've never played it live. Can you believe some people play 5 card stud as a limit game?