Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2003, 07:56 PM

Default Rate these books

Should I buy any, some, or all of these poker books?
Why?

Gambling Theory and Other Topics - MM
Getting the Best of It - DS
Poker GAming and Life - DS
Gambling for a Living - DS & MM
Poker Farce and Poker Truth RMB
Old 02-14-2003, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Rate these books

1 and 2 are required reading. Very good. Study these two books and you will be answering questions others ask and asking questions others don't understand.

3 and 4 are OK. More informational than educational, I think, but if you're a reader keep them on your list.

5 I haven't read.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:29 PM

Mikey I enjoyed and found them all useful except Poker Farce and Truth. You would not miss much by leaving it off your list.

Old 02-15-2003, 07:18 AM

a) GT&OT - This book has something for everyone. From Young Jack Black to Jacks Back. Tales of the Bullfrog and tales of "The Adventurer". From Poker's most respected book reviews to the world's greatest semi-bluff. From building pyrimids to the Interclass Correlation Coefficient. From computing standard deviation to Ali/Foreman in Zaire. From tournament stategy to Winston Churchill's ultimate gamble. This book is one of the greatest books you could ever buy!

b) Getting the Best of It - The definative gaming book by one of the top minds in all of gaming. Anyone who wagers money, great or small, who does not have this book, is making a big mistake. The probability primer alone is worth the price of the book. But there are many, many more nuggets of gold in this landmark book. This may well be one of the most important gaming books ever published.

c) Poker, Gaming & Life - This is a book I find myself constantly revisiting. It challenges me, humbles me, humiliates me, educates and enlightens me. And to think, all of that for only $24.95

d) Gambling for a Living - Worth having, but more of a general primer for a multitude of gambling games, then the extensive envelope pushing we have come to know and love from the 2+2 hierarchy.

e) Poker Farce & Poker Truth - Some people don't care for the essay's in the first part of this book.

Me? I can take'em or leave'em. However the second part of this book, about the battles of Midway and Pearl Harbor, is absolutly fantastic! A great, great read.

Those are my opinions anyway.

Best of Luck

Howard
Old 02-15-2003, 10:53 AM

certainly you need all of the advanced series. plus i believe you also need to read many of the lousy books out there. as you also learn while finding the mistakes and sorting thru the rubbish. it all helps to make you a better player. even though i am biased 2+2 is very diligent in making sure everything written is correct in the books. not so with most others. just the way it is.