Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2005, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Where does most of your winnings come from?

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd rank them in this order as far as profit for me goes:

1: raising and c-betting (basically abusing position)
2 and 3 tied: set mining and semi bluffing draws
4: getting good odds to draw
5: turn c-betting
6: pure bluffing

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-24-2005, 04:01 AM

gotta love a good set on a nonflush nonstraight board [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-24-2005, 04:34 AM

Two Questions about this thread:

1. If pocket pairs are so vital, do you limp in with them OOP? If so, how often?

2. Terminology Question: Harrington refers to making a "continuation bet" on the turn, but he is talking about a situation where you checked the flop instead of making the continuation bet then. But is this forum's generally accepted use of "turn continuation bet" one where you made a continuation bet on the flop and then another one on the turn? If so, what would you call the move Harrington is talking about?
Old 12-24-2005, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I win my most money on overpairs where I'll have KK and the flop will read Q 3 2 or Q 2 2, with my opponent holding AQ suited. Sets would follow next.

[/ QUOTE ]
Danger, will robinson. Be careful not to get stacked by sets here!

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm raising between 3 and 5x the BB I would hope my opponents lay down A3 A2 or 33,22.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is within the 5/10 rule. It is correct to call a 5x BB raise with any PP from any position with normal stacks.

[ QUOTE ]
1. If pocket pairs are so vital, do you limp in with them OOP? If so, how often?

[/ QUOTE ]
In 6max, every position, sometimes for up to 10% of my stack. Edit: I believe this is in the faq.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Two Questions about this thread:

2. Terminology Question: Harrington refers to making a "continuation bet" on the turn, but he is talking about a situation where you checked the flop instead of making the continuation bet then. But is this forum's generally accepted use of "turn continuation bet" one where you made a continuation bet on the flop and then another one on the turn? If so, what would you call the move Harrington is talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Yes, and every goddamn time.

2. Yes, that is the forum's generally accepted usage of "turn continuation bet". I would call the move Harrington describes poor play, at least in ring games.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:13 PM

yeah, overplaying your big hands can be a big money loser. people notice this trend, and try to crack your big hands every time. i myself am trying to correct this about my game. but im out of money, so i can't play.... booo
Old 12-24-2005, 03:51 PM

I think the turn continuation bet, in the spot where nobody has bet the flop and you are in middle position, is a strong move and has a high success rate in stealing pots. Clearly, I think it has to be made with the right circumstances, with only two or three people in the pot, the board texture has to be right, and they have to respect your bet. If you're in MP, the bet is more likely to be uncalled since opponents won't put you on a steal, where if your'e in LP then they might consider calling with ace high or something because they feel you're trying to pick the pot up. Note that the preflop action is important too... if it's an unraised pot, then it's probably going to work more, depending on the table.