Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: 2-4 KQ

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

A call is better than a fold both PF and on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling pre-flop is going to result in a post flop nightmare. oftentimes we're out of position with a hand that does not play well multiway. I'd rather thin the field pre-flop then take the chance nobody else will limp behind me. you can also play less guessing games on later streets depending on how the SB acts to your EP raise.

[ QUOTE ]

It surprised me that she would raise preflop, check/call flop, and then donk the turn. For some reason this screamed JACK to me

[/ QUOTE ]

If her turn bet screams jack then why did you call down? At that point you're drawing to two outs and getting 4.5:1. What are you expecting to hit on the river if you think your opponent has a jack? Also if youthink your opponent is overly aggressive and may not have a jack then you most likely have the best hand. You opponent could donk QT or K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or KX [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or even X [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Y [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

This is a good example of WA/WB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this advice is terrible. The reason he called down was because he had a hand that was going to win a % of the time under 50. Limping KQo is fine. You are not going to 'thin the field' of better hands, you are only going to fold worse hands (not something you want).
Old 11-25-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

...You are not going to 'thin the field' of better hands, you are only going to fold worse hands (not something you want)...

[/ QUOTE ]

You just proved my case why this should be folded in EP. Raising is far superior to calling, but I am firm believer that unless the game is super loose you should be folding KQo in UTG and UTG+1 situations.

Advocating calling down in a situation where you are either dominated (against AK or JX) or dominating your opponent are always raise or fold. The original poster stated he thought the turn card smelled of jack, in which case he does not have proper pot odds to draw to two outs. If the original poster though the villan is capable of betting a draw, or an inferior K or other pair here, then he should be raising.

If that advice is terrible, then I guess that makes me a terrible player.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:17 PM

KQo has been shown over tens of thousands of hands in many poker tracker databases to show a profit UTG. Regardless, this is such a small point I don't feel the need to debate it.

What is raising going to accomplish that limping does not? It is going to make hands like K10 that you want to call fold. It is going to make hands like AK three bet you. You are not going to fold hands like 99 / 10-10 that will make it tough for you post flop.

There are many occasions in limit hold'em where you may be beat but you should still show down. This is one of them. There has been so little action so far (raise preflop by opponent, bet flop by hero, bet turn by opponent) it is impossible to put your opponent on any hand with a reasonable degree of accuracy. Folding with such a strong hand is a big mistake and if you routinely make these folds you are giving up money.

Also, turn leads like this are rarely trips. Most opponents with trips would go for a turn check raise, tying hero to the hand.