Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 02:13 AM

Default live hand with 3 donks - hand reading?

Home pickup game at school. A little social engineering gets the stakes higher than the newbs anticipated (a $5 buyin turns into a $20 after a few rebuys). Theres now 6 or 7 of us after two or three busts. Three of us know how to play cards, the other four are loose passive calling stations who play 80% of their cards. I'm borderline tilting because I've ran cold all game. I recently reloaded so that I have a donk (not the villain in this hand) who doubled up a few hands back covered. Blinds are .10/.20, I have $20, villain has $13 (ish I'm going from memory).

Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. EP donk raises to $1. Hero raises to $4. LP shark folds after much debate, showing cards to neighbor, who says that he wouldn't lay that down to me. Table discusses how I have barely played a hand in the last half hour (I've been limping LP with drawing hands, but have hit only 1 flop all game and didn't have to show it down), and shark tells donk that I he puts me on AK, or a pocket pair, but decides I have AK. He all but says that he has a decent ace while folding. Villain donk, after the hand, claims that he picked up on this tell. He also respects my ability to read tells because of an earlier hand where I called a donk on trying to look casual when he flopped AAAKK (my mom could have read his act, it was pretty funny). Villain calls, but his body language says that he didn't really like doing it.

Flop (about $9) comes 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero quickly continuation bets $4 (my image is fantastic here), villain pushes for his last $1.50, I call, steaming that he hit his 3 outer.

My concern here is that I think villain has precisely AJ or AT (less likely) (this is before seeing a flop). The reason I can narrow his hand down so precisely now that I think about it is the table talk about the shark folding a great ace, and I don't think villain would have agonized over calling with AQ (he dragged a huge pot with it earlier). I CB with visible strength to represent aces but I question whether I should have check/folded. No question in my mind that villain had an ace. Given the specific details of these reads, can you not CB? I was trying to use my tight image (the calling stations call down smaller bets, but I am certain a $4 raise followed by a $4 cb is not getting called with nothing). Does anyone do anything different here? I'm trying to not be results oriented but it seems that I am, so I'm posting here for unbiased commentary.