Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2005, 05:15 AM

Default Volunteering

I've been backacking in New Zealand the last few weeks but quite aimlessly and I haven't really done much. One thing that has struck me though is how well off I am in terms of money. Almost everyone else backpaking that I have met is on a tight budget.

Like on girl a couple days ago told me she has been in New Zealand 4 months and hasn't eaten in a restaurant once. Or anoter girl from Israel who came here for a 6 month trip with about 5k and she bought a car when she ot here with a friend for 1k and it broke down immeadiately which was really a lot of money for her to lose and she cried. Or on the airplane someone from Columbia who had friends who were married I forget how much they made per year but right out of college it was $6,000 or $12,000 and they both worked for 3 years saving everything they had to go on a vacation.

I'm going to Europe soon for some poker touranments but will stay there after those are done, and given the fact that I am aimless and given the fact that there are poor people that I feel sorry for and want to help if I can I'd like to try volunteering. What experiences have people had who have voluntered? What sort of volunteering can I do and how should I go about this, any ideas?
Old 02-24-2005, 05:17 AM

Default Re: Volunteering

Its nice to see the world is teaching you things bruiser. hope you enjoy europe.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:18 AM

Default nt, nm

oops, repeat post. nt
Old 02-24-2005, 05:20 AM

This looks like a good site, http://www.volunteerinternational.org/
Old 02-24-2005, 05:25 AM

I did habitat for humanity once. The lady we built the house for was sort of bitch but the experience was fun.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:29 AM

I'm volunteering in a Romanian orphanage at the moment, pretty much yeah because we're comparitively extremely well-off.

I've been here for about two months, it's really good, I like the kids and I think they like and appreciate me, there are lots of other people around my age here (I'm 18 and the people range from 18 to about 25 mainly) so we go out most nights which is fun. Also, I'm living with a Romanian host family which is both enjoyable and interesting, they're very kind and welcoming.

I'd seriously recommend you do something like this. I'm with an organisation called Teaching and Projects Abroad which is UK based but there have been Americans here while I've been here. PM me if you have any questions about it.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:34 AM

Read "You Shall Know Our Velocity."
Old 02-24-2005, 11:13 AM

Did you drop out of school?
Old 02-24-2005, 11:42 AM

Volunteer your wang to make girls more culturally experienced.

But honestly, what interests you? Do some volunteer work at a soup kitchen, or at a hospital for old people with Alzhimers (however you spell it) or an animal shelter if you are into that.

Grab a local paper at whatever place you are in and look for some charity events in the area.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:00 PM

good post. I was gonna volunteer in israel and be a paramedic, but they changed the requirements this year and now hebrew is a requirement. I settled for going on a kibbutz this year, then doing the paramedic thing next year, but this sight has some sweet possibilites.