Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2004, 12:27 AM

Default QQ is a troublesome hand

well it is for me early - happy to have it late

2nd round of a $200+$15 SNG at empire - nothing much has happened - some chook busted out - i get the black queens about 2 off the button - early raise to T100 and its folded to the guy on my right who makes a "silly" raise to T170

i dont have any read on these guys - call and plan on pushing a decent flop ? - hmmm - push now, punting no KK or AA and hopefully limit the field ? - is fold a choice ?

i'm starting to think that the reality of very early decisions such as this has to consider the idiot factor - but how much ? - i saw a pair of 3's double up unimproved first hand today against AJ high

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 09-17-2004, 12:29 AM

Default Re: QQ is a troublesome hand

I really think this is read dependant (I know that doesn't help you lol) But I would decide right then if the guy who miniraised had AA or KK and push/fold depending on my decision.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:45 AM

QQ is (almost) certainly too good to fold here.

But two guys have already shown some strength so you have to respect that a little. I would call /limp and play very agressively if no K or A hits the flop. If you push you are gambling.

My QQ play improved a lot when I recognized that it is sooo much weaker than KK.

QQ is closer to JJ and KK is closer to AA IMHO.

gl
Old 09-17-2004, 05:59 AM

A little less idiot potential in the 2nd orbit vs. 1st, but still enough where I'd have no qualms with (a) going to war with this pre-flop by pushing; or (b) calling, and going to war if no Ace of King falls.

The fact that you were "mini-reraised" instead of raised up to 200+ increases the likelihood of the idiot factor in this hand IMO. Even at the highest SNG levels, it seems will people do silly things like this in the early rounds with a random pair/Ace with kicker less than King...just like they do it on TV!!
Old 09-17-2004, 11:22 AM

QQ is a tricky hand early.

At a full table, somebody's going to pick up AA, KK, or AK not too far from 20% of the time, and you'll lose a third of the time against a random maniac playing Axs.

If you limit yourself to playing AA & KK, you're limiting yourself to less than 1% of all hands.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:41 AM

Sure, but I think the spirit of the post isn't that you shouldn't play q,q. Of course you should play it and play it agressively, but you also need to be willing to get a divorce. Last night, I got myself knocked out of the 2+2 stars tourney with Q,Q as I was married and faithful. UTG min raised. I was on the button and re-raised 6xbb or so. UTG pushed. I then said to myself "well, he thinks I am bluffing because I am on the button." If I had been smarter I would have said: "If I had A,A utg I would min raise and hope for a raise so I could push and I'll bet that's what he has." Well I didn't say that and I went from a solid 3rd place and a good chance of making the money to out of the tourney. Why? because he turned over A,A. Alas, this is not a bad beat but a lesson in marriage.

Ryan
Old 09-17-2004, 01:57 PM

if i call and get a favourable flop then unless i sniff something dodgy i'm losing to AA, KK anyway - so i went the push

chook in an early spot ameliorated much of my error by calling and turning over 99 - other guy had AA

i think its a close call - i pushed mostly because of the idiot factor - but i'm thinking maybe i'm the idiot given how bad these guys will play late if they are chooks

stripsqueez - chickenhawk