Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 11:13 AM

Default KQs line check please...

This was my last hand of the session, so I'd like to see if maybe that influenced me to play this hand. How is the aggression on the flop & turn, good or chip spewing? Additional thoughts and questions below.

BB - 63/19/6.33/25/50 after 27 hands
UTG+1 - 18/5/3.33/17/50 after 116 hands

Thanks for any comments.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

Hero ($47.75)
UTG+1 ($44.25)
MP1 ($85.50)
MP2 ($36.87)
MP3 ($47.25)
CO ($48.75)
Button ($30.03)
SB ($42.05)
BB ($71.42)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls $1.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $1, Hero calls $1.

I always limp KQs in EP and will fold to a raise, but I was getting ~5:1 on this call, is it okay or fishy?

Flop: ($6.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $9</font>, UTG+1 calls $9, Button folds, BB calls $6.

Not a lot of hands on BB, but I suspect he bets out when he's got any piece of the flop, so I'm think he's got Kx, Qx, or maybe even 55 now. How's my raise, good, bad, not large enough? UTG+1 smooth calling makes me think he's got AA or AK. BB calling my raise makes me think my hand is good, as he'd likely re-raise with 55.

Turn: ($33.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $15</font>, Hero calls $37.25 (All-In), UTG+1 calls $33.75 (All-In), BB calls $22.25.

Could that 7 really have helped him? I still think my hand is good, and I'm not calling, so I push.

River: ($141.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $141.50
Old 09-01-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Re: KQs line check please...

From the PT stats I'm only worried about UTG+1. The smooth call by UTG+1 in scary. With two players infront and an AF of 3.33. I cant see him calling with AA or AK. I think he would raise. There is a good chance he has a made hand like KK/QQ also considering a minimal preflop raise that to me says I want action. But given the pot size and BB just spewing I think you made the right decision going all in. Your ahead often enough to justify pushing.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:32 AM

I don't think you can play this any other way unless you know the BB is a complete weak-tight who will never bet that turn with less than a set.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:35 AM

i'm thinking you lost to BB's set, or UTG+1's set of kings. I'm really wondering why he's not folding to all the bets and raises. If he's got aces he's the worlds biggest donkey. I find it strange that BB continued to bet after being raised on the flop, and it's even weirder that UTG+1 is calling these bets and raises cold.

I hate this spot but I don't really see any other way to play it. Your raise on the flop is kind of small...i'd probably make it at least 12, maybe more, but other than that i probably play this pretty much the same...if you aren't going to get aggro with top two here, then you should have folded preflop.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:37 AM

I would flat call the flop to see what UTG+1 does.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:38 AM

Perfect hand to illustrate the difficulties of playing something like KQs OOP. That said, Im not sure I play this one much differently, esp. at 6 max. It would be nice to have some idea of the Villains' tendencies, beyond just PT stats. It seems like this ok, given the range of hands you are potentially up against given the PF action.

Sorry for the stream of conciousness here. But it looks like a WA/WB scenario (Which is more common with a TPTK hand). But if you think about it, the only realistic draw out there is the Broadway straight. Is BB the type to bet with a draw? If so, good raise. If not, I prefer the flat call to control pot size and keep him in the hand if he is in fact way behind.