Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Anyone know anything about reggae?

From what I know, Haile Selassie was the king of Ethiopia and for years he ignored the Rastafarians as crazy. I do know that when you hear Haile Selassie "eye" in a reggae song they misread the "I" after his name as being just the letter "I" instead of its real meaning ("the first").

BTW, we get it, you are taking a class on Reggae and feel the need to flex your newfound expertise.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:13 PM

listen to rocksteady, and Toots Hibbert.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From what I know, Haile Selassie was the king of Ethiopia and for years he ignored the Rastafarians as crazy. I do know that when you hear Haile Selassie "eye" in a reggae song they misread the "I" after his name as being just the letter "I" instead of its real meaning ("the first").

BTW, we get it, you are taking a class on Reggae and feel the need to flex your newfound expertise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rastas refuse to admit he is dead, so by default he is the Rasta Christ.

"Ever living, ever faithful, conquering lion of the tribe of Judah, Salassie aye da first.... Jah!..."
Old 11-14-2005, 05:33 PM

Great internet radio for the dub too: Scratch Radio
Old 11-14-2005, 05:38 PM

All I ever needed I found here...

Old 11-14-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Peter Tosh came out with some good solo stuff after he left the Wailers, and before he got killed by a couple of homeless people he let live with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be a little more accurate, he was killed by fellow Rastas for violating some core tenants of their culture. To a certain extent there is some resentment towards the Reggae musicians within the Rasta community because they often somewhat contradict their roots and what the movement is about.
I just so happen to know this because one of my classes is covering the Rastafari which are the group responsible for the creation of Reggae music.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the source of that information about Tosh's death. The generally accepted version in Jamaica is that the guy, Dennis Lobban, was a friend/associate of Tosh's who did time for Tosh by taking responsibility for an illegal gun that Tosh had (they were both in the back of a car that was stopped in a police roadblock, Tosh handed the gun to Lobban with vague promises to "take care of him"). After he got out of jail there was a dispute over the level of compensation, that escalated into the shooting.

Lobban was convicted of Tosh's murder.

And to the OP, try Dennis Brown. He was at one time heralded as Bob's heir apparent. He wasn't quite able to live up to that, IMO his songwriting was just not strong enough, but he made some good records.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:11 PM

Somthing to combine the two metal and reggae is Skindred who are supposedly starting to break in the states, the singers previous band Dub War are worth checking out as well for somthing a bit different.

SOme videos here
Old 11-14-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Eekamouse

[/ QUOTE ]

kymani marley
Old 11-14-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
well I was really just trying to make a meaningful contribution to the discussion, but I can see how you could get that.

re: Tosh's death. I'm not sure on the specifics but that's what I had read. It just troubled me that someone meant to imply his killer was some kind of homeless freeloading bum (maybe our ethnocentric interpretation) when it was really a brother rasta.

re: Salassie. Most rastas do consider him divinity, like the second coming of christ, and this was certainly the traditional view. In the pronouncement of "Haile Salasie I" they are implying a connection and association with the divinity of Salassie and themselves. Indeed many famous Rasta leaders have proclaimed themselves to be Haile Salassie, it had to do with part/whole relationshions.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:47 PM

Two words:

"Musical Youth"