Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 02:08 AM

Default Yankees and Mets

Looks like I might have been wrong about the Yankees: they just might sneak into the playoffs if either Johnson or Mussina can pitch well over the stretch.

Looks like I might have been right about the Mets. Wasn't looking too good for my pick of the Mets as the NL wild card, but they're only 1.5 games back now. Who knows . . .
Old 08-26-2005, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Yankees and Mets

the mets have an absolutely brutal schedule in september, other than a few games against the rockies its gonna be tough going.

the yanks get a lot of TB and a struggling baltimore, so thats not bad
Old 08-26-2005, 02:23 AM

Go Yankees!!

Although Cleveland making the playoffs is pretty cool too.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Go Yankees!!

Although Cleveland making the playoffs is pretty cool too.

[/ QUOTE ]
No way man.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:39 AM

Jaret Wright and Shawn Chacon will as much to do with the Yankees making the playoffs as Unit and Mussina do.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:17 AM

Andy,

As a follower of the Mets I appreciate your optimism for the Mets making the wild card, however I would not count on it.

At least I have an exciting team to watch this year.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like I might have been wrong about the Yankees: they just might sneak into the playoffs if either Johnson or Mussina can pitch well over the stretch.

Looks like I might have been right about the Mets. Wasn't looking too good for my pick of the Mets as the NL wild card, but they're only 1.5 games back now. Who knows . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

You Gotta Believe, of course, but it'll be tough. Even if we stay hot @SF and win all three (or 2 of 3), we have Philly at home -- a must-win series -- and then an awful road trip. Three at Atlanta, three at Florida, four at St. Louis. We'd have to take 7 of 10, and that's a mighty task.

The next group is a nine game homestand versus Atl, Fla, and Wash. Again, 6-3 is the bare minimum, especially with the games against Florida. And again, that's a tall order.

Thankfully, we close the season nicely: three at Washington, three at Philly, and four at home versus Colorado. I'm not saying it ends easily, but it works for us. Washington and Colorado are not good teams, and we could realistically take five of seven. Philadelphia is likely to be ahead of us, and the easiest way to gain ground is to beat them ourselves.

These next three games are going to be crucial. SF is a creme puff and not taking at least two is a death kneel. We're close enough that if we beat the teams we are supposed to (Washington, SF, and Colorado) and split with the better teams (Flordia, Atlanta, StLouis), then it comes down to our six games with Philly.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:00 PM

August was their easiest month, they need to be in great shape leading into that goddawful Florida/Atlanta/St. Louis trip. I'm concerned....
Old 08-26-2005, 09:07 PM

C'mon Andy, sneak into the playoffs? They could easily win their division. It's very close among the contenders. White Sox probably are the only close to being a lock team to make it at this point. Lotsa baseball left to play.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:26 AM

Thrity-five games left. The better teams show their stamina and true colors in September. I will have to, again, find some team to root for during the stretch run and into the playoffs this year just to keep my interest up and going. It can't be the Yankees, family tradition as I have stated before. And the Cardinals are, for reasons too obvious to be stated, also anathema. Perhaps I'll take up Houston's cause or wave the Philles flag and also latch onto the Cleveland bandwagon in the AL. I'm fickle at the moment.

Good Luck with Randy & Co., your team has a great chance to get into the playoffs.

-Zeno