Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 04:22 PM

Default JTo in the BB

Online 5-10 game, my very first hand. I selected the game, because it had a $75 avg pot size and 34% seeing the flop. Unfortunately, after I sat down, the only familiar faces, aren't involved in this hand.

Two MPs, and the button limp. I check in the BB with J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Torn between betting and checking to see what happens, I decide to make an impression on my first hand, and lead out.

Both MPs fold, and the button calls.

Turn 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet, button raises, first question, what range of hands do you put him on, and what do we do now?

Well, I called.

River, I check, still deciding what I am going to do, if he bets, do you raise, or do you call again, and what is your justification for doing so?
Old 11-18-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: JTo in the BB

His turn range is probably a lot of odd two pair hands, Q's, random semi-bluffs, etc. I've become a fan recently of calling turn raises on coordinated boards OOP with the intention of the checking the river and folding to a bet.

So my answer to your river question is to fold if he bets. Although in this case, without reads, folding the turn is probably your best play.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:48 PM

Let it go on the turn. You have second pair and a poor kicker. Yes, your opponent could be raising the turn on a semi-bluff. But most often I think you are behind and not getting odds to draw. I should say, often enough to not bridge the gap between the odds being laid.

- Jim
Old 11-19-2005, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let it go on the turn. You have second pair and a poor kicker. Yes, your opponent could be raising the turn on a semi-bluff. But most often I think you are behind and not getting odds to draw. I should say, often enough to not bridge the gap between the odds being laid.

[/ QUOTE ]

My original thought here was to just let it go. But it seems to me, that there has been a lot more semibluff raising on the turn going on lately, so I decided to call the turn, and then decide again on the river. If for instance, a heart came, then I was going to fold, because I was behind either a semibluff that got there, or a better hand.

At any rate, on the river, I made two pair, I checked leaning toward checkraising, because now I was ahead of a lot of top pair hands, and I might also get one more bet out of a semibluff hand. He checked behind, and showed 76 of hearts, for a missed flush/gutshot draw.

Even though, I got this hand right at the time, the play of it bothered me enough, that I thought I might get more opinions on what to do.

Thanks,
Bob T.