Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Poker Pros - Do they really make it? Edit

[ QUOTE ]

You criticize others for having no common sense, but apparently have not put much thought into your own post. First, you have no idea how many children the poster has in elementary school.

[/ QUOTE ]

I put a lot of thought into my post, I just didn't explain it all. I thought that any rational person would see that spending that much money on school was excessive and elitist. The same kind of elitism that can't comprehend anyone living on $50K.

[ QUOTE ]
My parents went into debt to put me through one of the best colleges in the country, even though I got almost a full scholarship to another school that was definitely good, but not the same caliber.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is equally lacking in common sense, and shows the same illogical attitude that parents can buy happiness, success, etc., for their children. The difference in "quality of education" between, say, an Ivy League school and a major state university, is vastly over-rated, particularly at the undergrad level. A good student can get a great education at either. The whole life experience of college is also important, and a student will learn a lot more about the real world and about life (like that people live on $50k) at a non-elite school. College students should also make a significant effort toward financing their own education. That is educational too.

[ QUOTE ]
it is possible that the school that the poster is paying for will provide his (or her) children with a much better education than the other schools that his children could attend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Highly unlikely. Education consists of more than book learning (although it is doubtful, give that level of income, that the public schools there are anything but top notch). Children should be exposed to the real world, not isolated in a $15K per year resort with the offspring of other rich elitists.