Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-22-2005, 02:59 AM

Default big stack early

the other day I was playing and got my stack up to ~2500 (in a 11) in the 1st level and somehow donked my way out in like 5th i think. I basically tried to be selectively aggressive which ended up turning into recklessness. I was wondering how your gameplan should change when you get a nice sized stack in level 1-2 if at all. should i loosen up some and try to be more aggressive or just stay tight? this part of my game could definately use a tune up bc i know this has happened more than once.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:06 AM

Default Re: big stack early

When I get a big stack in the early levels, my game doesn't change much. I call reasonable raises a little more liberally with pairs, and apply max pressure to smaller stacks with hands like AK, but that's about it. No need to get crazy when the blinds are small, because you can be even more dangerous when people tighten up w/ <10BB a couple levels later.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:11 AM

Default Re: big stack early

[ QUOTE ]
When I get a big stack in the early levels, my game doesn't change much. I call reasonable raises a little more liberally with pairs, and apply max pressure to smaller stacks with hands like AK, but that's about it. No need to get crazy when the blinds are small, because you can be even more dangerous when people tighten up w/ <10BB a couple levels later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, when you get bumped up early it is realy nice. Now, even if you don't pick up another decent hand you'll be in good shape into the 75/150 and still may be able to survive some of the 100/200. At the 11s, this should be enough to get into the money a large percentage of the time.