Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Is my flush good enough?

MP1 here is 73/4/0.5 so your basic loose calling type player.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (12.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, Hero?

I pumped the pot with my pair and flush draw and makd my flush on the turn. But what do I do in this spot when a passive wakes up? I am going to showdown but for how much?
Old 11-04-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Is my flush good enough?

call down from here is my play
Old 11-04-2005, 02:36 PM

*grunch*

MP3...raises preflop, bets and then 3-bets on the flop, then folds to 2 on the turn. Overcards? Or QQ/JJ which are suddenly no good when the K hits and also completes the flush?

MP1 came along for the ride and then wakes up on the turn. Ace-rag [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?

And CO is staying to see the river.

Probably you're beat. If I'm reading the SSHE charts right, this is a preflop fold. And this is probably why, to avoid the tough decision on the turn. You're probably beat so feeling too weak to keep jamming the pot...but you might not be beat (maybe it's a scare-card bluff and the pot is getting big enough to want to stay around), so you feel too strong to just fold here. So instead you cross your fingers and call it down and hope MP1 has KT or something raggedy like that and that CO has some other sort of junk.

So. If he's bluffing/drawing/calling with something but not the nuts (maybe a slowplayed TT or something), you raise.

If he's not doing that and *does* have the overflush, you fold.

If you don't know, you call. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 03:02 PM

sometimes i'll call down.
sometimes i'll 3-bet.

i wrote a long response but the forum ate it.

but basically...sometimes this is a dumb player getting all excited over 2 pair
Old 11-04-2005, 03:15 PM

Call it down. Flush is only 4th highest.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:15 PM

Bet the flop, planning to 3-bet.

There's no way you should ever fold this turn. Your flush is well-disguised. I agree with miles that you should call down, though.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop, planning to 3-bet.

There's no way you should ever fold this turn. Your flush is well-disguised. I agree with miles that you should call down, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh yeah. i meant to say this too. lead the flop.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If I'm reading the SSHE charts right, this is a preflop fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that SSHE wouldn't advocate folding this from the big blind against a single raise - the chart might not reflect it, but I think the general sentiment expressed from the book is that you can liberally call one raise from the BB with suited cards, especially ones with minor straight possibilities like our 2-gapper here.

As many have stated, MP1 waking up is certainly either a flush or 2-pair, and the chances that it's 2-pair definitely show that you can't fold here. Not to mention, even if it is a flush, hero's flush isn't THAT low - let's not forget that 8-9 of hearts and to a lesser extent 3-4 of hearts are also hands that people realistically could have here.

The real question on this hand is CO...his presence (and presumably dead money) makes calling down all that much more appealing, but WTF does he have? Maybe just something like J-10 and he's a real moron? I know results posting is bad - you don't even have to say what MP1 had but I'm really curious on CO!
Old 11-04-2005, 04:51 PM

I don't read SSHE as being quite that liberal with suited cards...but I'm hardly an expert, either [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

pg. 71 suggests that T7s is one of the weaker of these hands, and I don't see many two-gappers in the charts on 80-83, tight or loose.

My read is that this would've been okay with at least one more player in the pot (a four-or-more, other than Hero, situation). Whether it's still worth it with only three others in, I don't know.

The other angle, which I haven't worked the numbers on, is what it looks like for one of the other players to have only 1 of the suited overcards: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], or J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] -- maybe AA/QQ/JJ, but with a heart in there, getting odds to stay for another heart on the river (while thinking that the overpair to the T-high flop might still be good).

Or could be KK that just made the set on the turn and is behind to a flush but still can make the boat by the river.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:05 PM

If MP1 is your loose typical 73/x/x type then I'm raising this turn. He could have any jank here, including lower flushes, 2-pair and god knows what else. Him limping into this pot does not make me think Ax[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] If you're 3-bet then call down from there.