Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 01:50 PM

Default 1/2 six max- 99

Hey, I've been lurking here for a while- this is my 1st post. Villan in this hand just sat down.

I'm in the CO w/99

Preflop
UTG raises, MP folds, I 3-bet, Button folds, SB caps, BB folds, UTG calls, I call. (13 sb)

Flop- Ad, 7h, 5s
SB checks, UTG bets, I call, SB folds. (15 sb)

Turn- 8d
UTG bets, I call. (8 bb)

River- Ah
UTG bets, I fold.

I gave myself about 3 outs on the flop and picked up my gutshot on the turn. I think I had odds to call these bets, but felt like a huge fish calling down. Does anyone else play it like this?
Old 11-04-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: 1/2 six max- 99

How do you get 3 outs on the flop? You've only got one card to a 2 gap backdoor straight draw. At most this is 1/2 of an out and I wouldn't even consider it here.
I think the flop is a raise or fold situation and I'm voting for fold. UTG bet into you after he reraised and there are no draws there that he could have. You also have to worry about the possibility of SB check/raising here. Unless UTG is a maniac I fold.

The post is fine. Check out the FAQ here if you want to get some pointers on hand posting but this is good.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:08 PM

I don't think that you had odds on the flop or turn. I would slightly discount your 2 9s there as well as there is a chance you are up agaisnt AA. and the double gut shot should only count as 0.5 outs. Therefore I would count it is 1.75+0.5= 2.25 rounded down to 2.

On the turn you did hit your gut shot, but now you are looking at 3.75 for the gutshot (another diamond would put 3 to a flush ont he board, so slight discount), and the 1.75 for the 9's is 5.5, again, pretty thin.

I don't know about the river fold, I may call this. But then again, I wouldn't have gotten to the point.

I fold this on the flop for 2 reasons:

1 - no odds
2 - SB capped and the odds of a Check/Raise by SB are pretty good.

Margon
Old 11-04-2005, 02:09 PM

your flop call is thin, but it's fine IMO. Turn is good as now you have gutshot +set outs. Good fold on the river since you are beating nothing that is within the cold capping range of a reasonable player. Nice hand.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:21 PM

*grunch*

I like the 3-bet preflop. Buy the button, thin the field, maybe get a free look at the turn.

You have 2.5 outs on the flop (your 2-gap BDSD is worth about .5), are getting 14:1 to call, and the preflop capper remains to act behind you. This is tough without a read, but unless UTG is a maniac/idiot, you're way behind his range. You don't have implied odds to draw to your 2.5-outer. I think you can fold.

On the turn, you're getting 9:1 to draw at your 6-outer, so i guess you can peel there.

I don't like the river fold. You called the flop because (presumably) you thought you might be ahead. Then you change your mind and play like you have a (weak) drawing hand. That A didn't change anything -- you're still either WA or WB (probably WB). A yucky decision.

Just fold the flop and be done with it.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:23 PM

yeah, i don't understand the flop call. that guy bets into the preflop 3-bettor and capper, you're not closing the action either
Old 11-04-2005, 02:36 PM

I wasn't real worried about SB, he was pretty tight, seemed to me he was check folding KK or QQ (guess I should have said that earlier). Flop call is pretty thin, but with my set outs (if UTG has AA I'm going to lose a lot here) and 8 cards for a gutshot I thought I had just enough to call. Pot's getting pretty big and I figured it was worth 1 sb to see what the turn brought.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:39 PM

you know i didn't even see that he checked out of position. i thought he was yet to act.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:54 PM

Flop seems close but not too bad. Effectively closing the action (I see SB check/raising here basically never, but this is just my experience) with 16:1, so you don't need to make up that much to break-even; around 3.5BBs or so. Problem is you're never going to be making that much money with the call IMO; UTG is probably not going to be bet/3-betting a turn 9 with AK (although some would) so he's not going to be putting in lots of bets without AA.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:55 PM

I don't give autocredit for an Ace in 6max, although an Ace is the worst overcard that could come. You have second pair that beats middle pair.

I'd probably raise the flop. You could get TT, JJ, QQ or KK fold. They might just call you down though.

If three bet, call for set outs and fold to a the turn bet unless your getting pot odds to continue for the set and gutshot.

If utg calls and checks the turn, bet. He might fold here. If not, and he checks the river, check it though.
===
If you don't like that line, the second best one I think would be fold the flop.
===

PS: Welcome to the forums with your first thread and 1st and 2nd post.

12thR2a1stP