Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2004, 12:11 AM

Default Bump

For people who missed it. I enjoyed this post. You will too.

Hack
Old 12-20-2004, 11:51 AM

Default Re: I think my biggest leak is...

Hmm. The technical stuff Ed is talking about is invaluable--but I've always felt (and observed) that non-technical leaks are at least as dangerous for studious recreational players.

Someone may be a winning low-limit hold'em player when he's mentally sharp---but if he persists in playing when tired, on tilt, etc., he risks losing many more chips than from all his technical errors combined. For many of us, coping with our emotional reaction to gambling is still the hardest part of the game. The capacity for self-deception here is huge.

Aside from that, I like very much Ed's suggestion to prioritize your learning. On a technical level, nothing could be more important for the studious player. I also like the observation (from his book, this time) that our brains aren't built to handle randomness, meaning we are liable to draw the wrong conclusions from short-term experience. If you don't work from a sound technical basis, you leave yourself vulnerable to subjectivity; and subjectivity leads to tilt.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ed, all I can say is that if I weren't heterosexual and if I didn't love breasts so much (ie if I was gay) I would make love to you.

[/ QUOTE ] TMI! TMI!

Did I need that?!? Here I was enjoying a rich discussion, and Lawrence's faux pas ruined it. A more conventional and normal way to acknowledge warmth and gratitude would be something like

"Hey Ed, great post, thx! I've been wondering about something..."

See the difference? It still conveys appreciation without giving the reader the heebeejeebees, or makeing someone quickly glance to the name of the poster wondering what the hell that was about... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2005, 11:43 AM

reply to add to favs
Old 05-05-2005, 12:50 PM

Nothing wrong with bumping an NPA thread, but you do realize there's a "toggle favorite thread" link at the bottom of your screen that does not require you to add a post, right?
Old 05-05-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing wrong with bumping an NPA thread, but you do realize there's a "toggle favorite thread" link at the bottom of your screen that does not require you to add a post, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

i do now!! thank you!!!! btw, whats an NPA thread???
Old 05-05-2005, 01:10 PM

NPA stands for "Noted Poker Authority", which is another name for Ed Miller. His Screen Name also used to be "Major Kong", so you'll see him referred to that way also.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NPA stands for "Noted Poker Authority", which is another name for Ed Miller. His Screen Name also used to be "Major Kong", so you'll see him referred to that way also.

[/ QUOTE ]

How come it doesn't come up in the search archives - or anything else older than a year for that matter?
Old 05-05-2005, 01:25 PM

hey this might be the stupidist thing ever asked on 2+2, but is that the same ed miller that co authored the book SSHE?? again, pardon the ignorance...
Old 05-05-2005, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey this might be the stupidist thing ever asked on 2+2, but is that the same ed miller that co authored the book SSHE?? again, pardon the ignorance...

[/ QUOTE ]

Although that is a stupid question (yes, it is the same Ed Miller), it is not even CLOSE to being the stupidest thing asked on these boards. Spend some time here (especially in OOT) and you'll see why.