Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-23-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Solid play or just plain dumb?

Party Poker 2/4 Effective stacks $500 Villian is tight pf but a little tricky
I was playing for a friend so I don't have the hand history.

Hero is dealt black 77 utg

PF Action hero leads 10 villian raise to 40 all fold hero minraises to 70 villian calls. (I've been playing fairly loose just came off a really good game and just wanted to let go for a bit. Off the 100 or so hands I've play villian has played fairly TAG making few mistakes. I minraised for imformation I was 95% sure that he'll reraise me with AA or KK or QQ and I'll fold and if flopped rags I could take the pot down with a bluff. I really didn't want to fold with the freq AK AQ KQs etc. has been shown down in a reraised pot here.)

thoughts? 1. What's plan for rag flop
2. If an A or K hits
3. If board comes with two stright q j 2 /10 9 2 etc
4. If board pairs a face card j j 2 / A A 2
Old 12-23-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Solid play or just plain dumb?

I don't like the 3 bet.. for information?? I would typically limp utg w/ 77. If I raised it would be standard to 15/16. As you raised to 10, I'd just call the pop to 40. You're OOP too.

If you 3 bet, you're almost obligated to try to take it down on the flop. If he calls, you're just about done. Don't need to be making a ginormous pot with an underpair that is easily beat/dominated
Old 12-23-2005, 07:09 PM

forgot to mention it was 6 handed and utg I normally do limp 77 but like I said I was playing fairly lag and people at the table were starting to fight back so my implied odds were looking better but yes I was putting alot of money into weak hand.

I figured with the three bet I could strongly show aces well quicky finding out if he has KK or AA the only thing I'm really scared of on the flop is an A or a paired face board or two face card and yes if those called on the flop I'll be done with the hand.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:35 PM

Your implied odds are much better if you raise 77 and then only call his reraise. Your implied odds go down the drain when you reraise. And theres no way hes folding to your min reraise so it makes no sense.

If I was him, I would not be putting in a 4th raise there no matter what I had so youre not getting any information.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:52 PM

Ok, I have 77 but assume any two card I'm looking for a cheapest / soild way to show aces once and a while against the right person with air to add into my real game and I tried this here noones folding to the min raise I know this but a minraise shows great strength and it's cheap I often c/min raise the river when I feel weakness and it has been working out well for me. If most players are going to 4 bet it preflop then this line isn't going to work for me. whats the least I can bet on a friendly/kindof friendly flop to make opp believe I have aces? these are the kind of answers I'm looking for.

In the real hand the flop came 10 10 6 and I bet pot villian when into the tank and then folded since that's one of the most friendly boards I could have asked for it doesn't tell me anything.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:28 PM

Hooray for bloating the pot out of postion with a weak hand!

Min-4-bet PF is pure spew.

[ QUOTE ]
I was 95% sure that he'll reraise me with AA or KK or QQ

[/ QUOTE ]
You sure about that?

[ QUOTE ]
I could take the pot down with a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now THIS is true.

[ QUOTE ]
1. What's plan for rag flop
2. If an A or K hits