Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Re: How did you deal with life after college?

[ QUOTE ]
For a while (this was over 10 years ago), I tried drinking heavily every day.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm a couple years out from graduation, and so far this has been my choice. My health sucks, but I know the consequences of my actions and have accepted them. That's pretty much all that matters.

If your health coverage takes care of it, go see a shrink. They're trained to help with stuff like this, and you shouldn't be worried about any sort of stigma associated with seeing a psychiatrist.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:17 PM

The secret boss was a monkey. The monkey would spin a wheel to decide who would be fired every week.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The secret boss was a monkey. The monkey would spin a wheel to decide who would be fired every week.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be kidding me.

On a side note, thanks for the responses.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:48 PM

or the original likely source of that quote,

"He not busy being born is busy dying"

which I sort of like in relation to the OP's question. What do you want to be? Usually that's half the challenge right there...college prepares you (sometimes) to get a job, but not at all for how to live your life. Or how to even *decide* how to live your life.

Try reading Po Bronson's book "What Should I Do With My Life". It might help. (It might not. You don't have much to lose by reading it, though.)
Old 11-07-2005, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be kidding me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I wish I was. The show was pulled from the air after about 4 episodes, but Fox had the final episodes posted online for awhile a few months ago. I was curious as to how the "secret" was going to be revealed so I watched the last episode where the monkey-boss was revealed. They gave $350,000 to the winner, and $250,000 to the runner up, I believe. The winner was decided by having the monkey spin the wheel.

It's a wonder the show was cancelled. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
On a side note, thanks for the responses.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem. Rest assured that what you're feeling is very normal. I went through the same thing about 7 or 8 years ago.

Do you play any sports? The turning point for my social life was when I started joining sports teams again. I met a ton of people, got out of the house, and made lots of new friends. I also got my current job through a guy on one of my teams. If I hadn't started playing sports again, I'd probably still be working the same crappy job I was 8 years ago.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go to grad school.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how I've come to deal with a similar situation.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:27 PM

wtf I dont know where you guys moved to, but I've gotten exponentially more tail since college. True you replace class with work but you still go out and have a good time, and you actually have $ for once in your life.

EDIT: I'm 23
Old 11-07-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf I dont know where you guys moved to, but I've gotten exponentially more tail since college. True you replace class with work but you still go out and have a good time, and you actually have $ for once in your life.

EDIT: I'm 23

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I think I'm also on the flipside WRT this situation. For me, graduating was a relief. In college, I was taking a full class load, plus working 2 jobs for a total of about 35-40 hours a week. Once I graduated, it was strictly 9-5 for a lot more money (comparatively, not in the grand scheme of things). I had nights and weekends to myself, which was a great feeling.

Anyhow, keep in mind that you've got plenty of time to figure things out. Seeking out advice and guidance from folks you trust who've been there before is always good. Don't be in too much of a rush to make any life-changing decisions. Have fun, meet new people, don't take yourself too seriously.

PS - I am now 29 and facing the big 3-0 milestone in a few months.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:37 PM

I can relate, I had to live with my parents for a while after school and working with people who are twice your age and all have kids sucks.

You gotta work twice as hard to meet people. Get out more. Take a break from cards. Get some exercise.

Maybe you should see your MD to make sure that there isn't anything physically wrong with you.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Go to grad school and be a horrible slacker.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP to reflect what I'm doing right now.