Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 10:22 AM

Default AKs - River decision

<font color="blue">SB is a complete donk - 84/0/.85
Button is a little harder to work out. He seems super aggressive but it's only been over a short period.
24/15/4.5
It's hard to say, in the short time, I've seen him show down KQ, KK, and AJ (twice).
But he also won a ginormous pot with 44 - which he played from UTG+1 and spiked his 4 on the river. </font>

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (17 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (16.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (22.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="green">Hero??? </font>

<font color="purple">How's my play? </font>
Old 11-04-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: AKs - River decision

It sucks, but this is a fold on the river. I think you played the hand well.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:35 AM

I like the preflop and flop play. I slow down on the turn, see the action. If it is one bet back to me after I check I call, if it is 2 I fold. On the river, with 2 bets, you have to let this go.

The action on the flop leads me to think that at least one of the opponents has a strong made hand, and one might be on a straight draw. With the river card completing a lot of straight draws, you have to let it go.

Margon
Old 11-04-2005, 10:44 AM

Preflop is fine. Flop you have TPTK, but I call the button's raise instead of 3-betting. You have top pair, but only a pair, and someone could easily be on a straight draw and you know button plays small pocket pairs, so you could be facing a set already. Turn is fine, you still have top pair, but board isn't helping you at all and is making straights more likely. River - fold. (I've lost a lot of money clinging to AK beyond its usefullness.)
Old 11-04-2005, 11:05 AM

Yuck. Gotta fold that river. SB hit his straight--no way he's c/r'ing the two of you with a worse hand than yours. If it were just 1 bet to call, I *might* do it just to preserve my sanity, even though I doubt I'm good 1 time in 100, much less 1 in 25. But it's two bets to you, and button might be dumb enough to 3 bet, so you have to fold.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:29 AM

*grunch*

I'm guessing that Button has AA, AK, KK...aggressive preflop and through the flop and never slows down.

SB comes alive on the river...after coming along for the ride this whole time. Is it the five? Or is it just betting out because you checked it? River is a tough spot for Hero, who has been leading out the betting and didn't slow down until the turn. I don't think SB or Button read the Hero's river check as anything other than weakness...no need to try a check-raise as the Button has been pushing right back without stopping.

Or maybe SB has a small pair and made the set somewhere. or flopped two pair.

Hoping to split (at best) with button and catch SB betting a pair of sevens or something...heads up you call it, but against two I think you're beat and the button/sb will cap the river.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:51 AM

Check/call the turn. There's no fear of a guy like this checking through the turn, so I'll let him bet and get to showdown cheaply. From the way you describe him, he doesn't seem like an idiot, just a slightly looser overaggressive but almost solid player.

Easy fold on the river. Thank SB for saving you a bet.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:00 PM

I agree with Slant here. After his 3-bet preflop and cap on the flop I think you can narrow his range to AK, KK, or AA. I'm check-calling the turn and river.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:26 PM

Even though the pot is huge, I think you have to fold it down to the SB who caught his str.

I like the preflop and flop play. I would have checked the turn because there are limpers and the 6 could have made their str.

I would guess the button had KK or AA (or at worst the same hand as you, AK)
Old 11-04-2005, 12:28 PM

I would fold at the river. The raise by SB suggests a straight ... he had been quiet before that move, and with such a low aggression factor, it makes me nervous.

Button play is quite aggressive AK is a real likelihood. I don't him capping PF w/ a low pair.