Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: I like Phil Hellmuth

I get the impression Phil is much more into his various business enterprises and making himself a marketable brand than his poker playing these days.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the KJ guy was a major prick. gotta love how steamed he was when 99 went all-in and he called with JTs (what?!), flopped the straight, lost to full house, and was obviously enraged over his supposed bad beat. as phil pointed out, 99 had the best of it when the money was in.

then the guy hits a 3-outer on the river to beat phil when he was a monster favorite, phil goes off, and the guy calls him a crybaby. wow. seems hypocritical to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree, but i did have to mute phil's tantrum after a few minutes.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:01 PM

I saw a little of this the other night but I wasn't sure which tourney they were showing, was it the main event? Did Phil get knocked out when he was crying to his wife, cuz I thought she was saying "but your not out, you still have chips...".
TIA
Old 10-20-2005, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth didn't claim AQ losing to 77 was a bad beat like the guy who lst w/ JT to 99 did claim. He claimed it was a bad/crazy play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does anyone agree with Phil that it was a crazy play?

I don't recall the details exactly but I thought X22 raised (from UTG?), Lon says this amount is almost Phil's entire stack, it folds round to Phil (in the BB?), Phil has AQ and goes all in and X22 calls for presumably a small amount more. I got the impression that Phil was desperately short stacked at the start of the hand and X22 made a standard raise, and a no-brainer call at the end. I don't think the blinds and stack sizes were known at that time so I can't be sure. Anyone remember?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:54 PM

phil bitched about a bad-beat that took a lot of his chips....then later he got knocked out and complained to his wife again.

For all those saying "he got knocked out of the WSOP....let him vent."
I got knocked out of the WSOP too and didn't give a performance like that.
I said "pleasure playing with you guys" and wished them luck and left with some class.

And this was my FIRST WSOP.
Phil has been there before and should know that the odds favor him getting knocked out at one point or another. But when he gets knocked out he acts like it's this big surprise that he actually got knocked out.

Then he goes to the audience as well as to the cameras and says more idiotic stuff about how much better he is than everyone and that if luck weren't involved it would be obvious that he is the best player there.

How a guy who has played poker in THAT many tournaments can not come to grips with the fact that there actually is luck involved in poker is just beyond me.

The guy is a freaking tool and in his world ANY play that beats him is the OTHER GUY'S fault for playing so badly OR him just getting unlucky or both.

Phil would make an argument that he has had more bad luck than anybody in the history of poker....and this is just plain wrong.
In fact, with his 9 bracelets I think one could argue that he has actually had MORE good luck than many other poker players.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth didn't claim AQ losing to 77 was a bad beat like the guy who lst w/ JT to 99 did claim. He claimed it was a bad/crazy play.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does anyone agree with Phil that it was a crazy play?

I don't recall the details exactly but I thought X22 raised (from UTG?), Lon says this amount is almost Phil's entire stack, it folds round to Phil (in the BB?), Phil has AQ and goes all in and X22 calls for presumably a small amount more. I got the impression that Phil was desperately short stacked at the start of the hand and X22 made a standard raise, and a no-brainer call at the end. I don't think the blinds and stack sizes were known at that time so I can't be sure. Anyone remember?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure of their position but you do have the action wrong. Phil was the one who opened the betting with a standard raise. 22 re-raised a large amount (from MP I believe) which accounted for half phil's stack. Phil was short but not desparate. It's a questionable play at best.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He doesn't have 9 bracelets and more cashes than anyone simply because he plays so many events.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right, it's also because the fields used to be much smaller.