Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2005, 03:00 PM

Default do i fold this hand

I was playing in the a stud8 MTT and the following hand came up on the final table. I had A237 on 4th street and there were 2 other players in the hand that were going high all face cards and tens on their boards. They kept capping the pot. On fifth street i had A237T and capped again. 6th street A237TQ once again capped. 7th street i bricked again. Is there anytime i should of folded this hand or is that an automatic go all the way when the other 2 players are going nuts with highs?

Trace.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: do i fold this hand

with the only 4 to a low on 4th, i think this hand will come in too often to fold. I think there may be other considerations, such as the stack size and the prize structure though. on 4th it lookes like at best you are getting half the pot. If both of the other players will be all in and one will be eliminated, I could see where it might be worth letting them duke it out while you slide up in the money without the risk of crippling your stack....
Old 04-20-2005, 03:26 PM

I agree, in a tourney situation I think I might let this one go. On the other hand, maybe it had some chance of taking down the whole thing I would call. Chips are just too damn valuable in tournament play to be chasing for a split to me.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:30 PM

Had any 4's, 5's, 6's or 8's been folded? While it's impossible to do a true pot odds calculation without knowing that, I'd venture a good guess that most of your outs were alive. Since you're a guaranteed lock for half of the pot in the situation you've described, with all of the money that was in the pot prior to 5th street, and with 2 high hands going along for caps on 5th and 6th, it's pretty hard to imagine a realistic scenario in which you aren't getting the right pot odds to keep chasing that half of the pot.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chips are just too damn valuable in tournament play to be chasing for a split to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not chasing a split heads up, though. He's at the final table chasing a split with great pot odds with one of the other two players contributing totally dead money to the pot. I say go for the top spot, rather than just trying to climb the ladder, and get your chips in when the situation is good---and this one's good. Not great, because great would be drawing for a lock low that also could scoop, and this hand requires runner runner to hit a wheel. Nonetheless, I don't think he should run for the sidelines on this one.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:11 PM

I would definitely be raising myself on fourth, and probably on fifth. I don't think there's any point at which you can fold.