Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2005, 06:04 AM

Default Yuck

Well, it's your biz, and your choice, but all I can say about the winner is 'yuck'. I understand you'll be using traceone's designs for future books, but he gave you three - why not 'spend' one on what could end up being one of your bestsellers? I think trying to make this look like a 'happy-friendly-kiddy' book for newbies is a mistake. Newbies have taste too.

BTW, some of the comments have been pretty nasty, and way out-of-line, IMHO. Maybe your covers aren't pretty, but damn, you sure know what to put inside. Your reputation sells more books than any cover ever will. It's not like the other publishers have particularly high standards either. I almost get the feeling there's some kind of 'ugly-chic' when it comes to poker books, as if to look cool would actually be un-cool. Kind of the 'dogs playing poker' school of design.

Cheers,
Pasta
Old 02-20-2005, 06:27 AM

Default Re: And the Winners Are

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the great feedback you guys gave!!! I was really surprised how everyone fought for me, that was great. This was a great little contest and was happy to be apart of it. I just would like to say thanks to Mason for this opportunity to do this. I know i am not a regular poster but i really have been reading the boards for a while now. That are a lot or great insights on this board and it sure has helped my game.

I just wanted everyone to know that I am a professional. I’m a Associate Creative Director at the 3rd largest ad agency in the world. Just thought i should say something because some people really thought Mason should hire a professional designer. I just thought this would be awesome to do, being that i love poker and all.

I’m a little surprised at the design that was chosen, I really think illunious cover was one of the only ones that had a real design sense and nice typography to it(besides mine of course [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ). But hey, I cant complain.

Congratulations to all the winners, nice work.

Thanks again,

TraceOne [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2005, 06:37 AM

Hi Traceone:

We thought your covers were just terrific and have big plans for them. When we get a chance to talk, we'll talk more, and who knows, there might be opportunities in the future for you to do additional work with us.

best wishes,
Mason
Old 02-20-2005, 06:43 AM

Looks like the end of the road for the cover contest.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:47 AM

Hi jdl22:

At least for a while.

We had planned on having more, but we got so many good covers it seemed a shame not to reward the work. In fact, some of the covers we didn't select were definitely worthy cover material.

On the other hand, we are planning to put out more books in the near future than what we use to do in the past. So we may need another cover contest sooner than you think.

best wishes,
Mason
Old 02-20-2005, 07:28 AM

I do like the winning selection. I just thought it looked a little "techy" and would be more fitting for a title that dealt with on-line poker.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, we are planning to put out more books in the near future

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mason,

Would you be able to give us an updated timeline of the books coming out this year? Sorry if you've posted this already, I don't read this forum as often as I should and I'm curious.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 02-20-2005, 08:02 AM

Hi Jason:

This is all subject to change.

Getting Started in Hold 'em by Ed Miller: late March

Harrington on Hold 'em. Volume II: May

Not yet titled but no limit book by David Sklansky and Ed Miller: late summer

Greg Raymer's book: I'm guessing late 2005

Book by Alan Schoonmaker that will be a collection of many of his columns: sometime in 2005

Other books that we might accept: who knows

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 02-20-2005, 11:08 AM

Maybe a new picture of yourself and David while you're at it?

I suggest on a beach with lots of women in bikinis and a TON of poker chips, but no cards.

If anyone asks you why you have chips but no cards, tell them that when you're as good as you and Dave, you don't need cards. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2005, 11:13 AM

I just want you guys to know how disappointed I am that Moss Factor didn't get a shirt. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cudos, Moss.

--Dave.