Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 02:59 AM

Default Re: I played this hand so bad

I like the call.

Hero is short stacked and needs to stack this opponent to have a good shot at winning the tournament.

Villain's range is pretty wide to open on a short handed table. With ~15XBB left, he should be willing to let a substantial portion of his hands go (KJs, AT, 88 etc).

Since hero did not give any info regarding the strength of his hand, villain might expect to have the best hand.

Although villain's stack is workable, he needs to double up aswell and is likely to push what he thinks are marginal edges.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:10 AM

So UTG raises and you minraise around 1/3 of your stack in the pot. Could you possibly scream out your hand more? Might as well turn the hand over, right? I feel like you might win a little bit from the minraise but people will generally play very correct with you... IE they will call the minraise and either outflop AA or pickup a draw that can overtake AA later. And if they dont they may fold. Versus a hand like TT this is suicide because it will often call an all in preflop but will then play very correct vs you taking this like. Same goes for a hand like AQ where the person may actually decide to fold preflop because AQ really doesnt do well against a very strong raise.

You are right about good players not folding to the minraise. I certainly don't. You win tournaments by calling that minraise. I think a minraise is pretty terrible especially vs a good opponent. Vs a terrible opponent you might be able to build a nice pot preflop and tie them to it. But lets say your opposition has a hand like 55 or 98s. A minraise will make them play extremely correct. If you call at least they may continuation bet x% of the time and they also will have a much harder time putting you on AA.

Shania doesnt like this minraise.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero is short stacked and needs to stack this opponent to have a good shot at winning the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

15BB's at a FT (w/ only 8 remaining) definitely does not have to stack his opponent here to have a shot at winning..

Just taking the 5BB in the pot already is plenty of help, and he'd be in good enough shape.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:15 AM

Hero needs to double up somehow and is unlikely to get a better shot than this.

A great hand that plays well after the flop
Position
An opponent with a similar need to double up
A weak posture
Old 09-28-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
]
Barf. I can't do this crap versus good players with this stack. A little shallower or deeper... Fine. Right?

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

My analysis was the same before reading yours. I'm not so sure that this is wrong though. I'll crunch numbers if you supply me with raising range, calling range, and expected play on various flops.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero needs to double up somehow

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero always needs chips. This statement doesn't add anything.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero needs to double up somehow and is unlikely to get a better shot than this.

A great hand that plays well after the flop
Position
An opponent with a similar need to double up
A weak posture

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't need to double up so urgently, this is the FT not the early stages... No need to encourage more action here... very well may double up if you push here, villain gets decent odds (1.75:1 ish) I'd much rather push here even if villain only calls 50% of the time. 50% +5BB's 50% i'm an 80% to double up.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:29 AM

Raising AA BTF here is w/t
Old 09-28-2005, 04:31 AM

I don't think raising is weaktight. Villains range of hands is likely to call given his stack size and strassa's (I'd assume )aggressive image.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:29 AM

I don't think it is horrible. A lot depends on who is left to act, but you could call here with some middle pairs and big aces I think (since you hace 15BB, you don't have to push or fold). The rest of the stacks are important, too. Less chips (12BB or less) I think this is an auto push, since you will almost definitely be called by the raiser pre flop but he may find a correct fold on a scary flop if he has something like 99. Another thing about calling here: If you show down and win the hand you may be able to limp or call later with less chance of getting punished.

Later in the thread I think you mention that he will be less inclined to make a continuation bet with this stack if he misses. I would really not worry about that. What can he do with say AK? Check fold to a 1/2-2/3 pot size bet? If he has a PP he will pay you off some post flop. The only real questions here are how often he will fold to a pre flop push here, how likely is it someone left to act will try a squeeze, and how likely is it you will get more callers behind if you call (I really don't like the idea of having a 4 way pot here: too good a chance someone will outflop you and too little a chance you will get paid off since oponents marginal hands go down so much in value if the pot is multi-way).