Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 12:27 PM

Default back to basics

I've been playing 5/10 for 70k hands and now i have a very simple question:

Lets say I raise utg+1 with AJo everyone folds to SB who is a decent/good 5/10 player who 3bets, i call.
The flop is somthing like A72 Rainbow
He bets out and what is my plan?

First of all i put SB on a hand like AK, AQ, AJs, KQs, AA KK QQ JJ TT or 99. But my general plan is very often to rais the flop and if 3beted just call down. But lately i've been asking myself what do i gain by raising the flop? i stop my oponent from overplaying his hands and i don't do it for info. The only reason i could find was to protect my hand, wich i'm not sure at all if i have to, the hands that i'm a head of does not have many outs. I know this is a basic question and i really appreciate all comments
Old 09-05-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: back to basics

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing 5/10 for 70k hands and now i have a very simple question:

Lets say I raise utg+1 with AJo everyone folds to SB who is a decent/good 5/10 player who 3bets, i call.
The flop is somthing like A72 Rainbow
He bets out and what is my plan?

First of all i put SB on a hand like AK, AQ, AJs, KQs, AA KK QQ JJ TT or 99. But my general plan is very often to rais the flop and if 3beted just call down. But lately i've been asking myself what do i gain by raising the flop? i stop my oponent from overplaying his hands and i don't do it for info. The only reason i could find was to protect my hand, wich i'm not sure at all if i have to, the hands that i'm a head of does not have many outs. I know this is a basic question and i really appreciate all comments

[/ QUOTE ]

i play bad, but i think calling down is prudent. you are either way ahead or way behind. Your raise only knocks him off of a worse hand, or gets you pounded by a better one, as you cannot fold.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:44 PM

People donkbet in this game all the time. I relish raising these kinds of flops with these kidns of hands to protect the times I raise these kinds of flops with air.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you are either way ahead or way behind. Your raise only knocks him off of a worse hand, or gets you pounded by a better one, as you cannot fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's my line and my reasoning as well.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:01 PM

Listen to Pokerbob, he is wise. If you were asking about 10/20, you should ignore everything he says. (Sorry Bob, couldn't resist.)