Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 03:56 AM

Default Newbie hand: What\'s my move here?

$200k qualifer
About 41 left from 250, 10 gets seat, 11-13th gets some cash.
Been playing tight and stealing blinds when I have at least decent hand since table is quite tight. There has been lots of stealing from LP. I havent defended any since moving to this table. Button and CO have been raising when first in in LP.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (9 handed) converter

UTG+1 (t3186)
MP1 (t2780)
MP2 (t1260)
MP3 (t1555)
CO (t7322)
Button (t3480)
Hero (t4716)
BB (t12396)
UTG (t4170)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero???
Old 08-20-2005, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Newbie hand: What\'s my move here?

Call.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:50 AM

I dont know what is right to do here, but i think calling is the most wrong option. You are out of possition for the rest of the hand.. and what kind of flop do you think is a good one? what would your plan to be to play the rest of the hand?

What is the range of the guy raising? does he always min raise? does he tend to attempt to steal every time it's folded to him?

If i though the guy was stealing and could have a wide range of cards i think i would reraise him here. Push him. even if you lose he's gonna stop stealing against you with marginal hands.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know what is right to do here, but i think calling is the most wrong option. You are out of possition for the rest of the hand.. and what kind of flop do you think is a good one? what would your plan to be to play the rest of the hand?

What is the range of the guy raising? does he always min raise? does he tend to attempt to steal every time it's folded to him?

If i though the guy was stealing and could have a wide range of cards i think i would reraise him here. Push him. even if you lose he's gonna stop stealing against you with marginal hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I have to disagree. Folding here is the "most wrong option".

"What kind of flop do we like?" Well, Axx would be nice.

OP already answered your other questions by stating that Button and CO have been raising first in from LP so I think we can assign him a range of almost any two. The reason I don't like re-raising here is because any sizable raise would pot-commit hero if villian wakes up with an actual hand and pushes. You said "even if you lose, he's gonna stop stealing against you with marginal hands." Well...everyone is going to stop stealing against you because you'll no longer be in the tourney. He has you covered. To answer your question "What would your plan be to play the rest of the hand? I'm auto-betting 3/4 pot on the flop and unless I hit my hand, I'm folding to a re-raise by villain. I actually like not having position in this circumstance because I already know I'll be betting any flop and putting my opponent to a decision.